Wish I had a studio (home portrait attempt, pull back shot added)

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Decided to take some portraits of my little boy, and since his arrival we no longer have a spare room for me to set up any lighting. So I had to turn our bedroom upside down to get these shots.

Simple set up of soft box to camera life with reflector to the right. I've attached a setup shot below (excuse the mess) really is a pain getting the lights out of the loft and at times I can barely be bothered with the hassle and upheaval but when I see the results it makes it worth the effort.

Hope this helps inspire others who make the excuse of lack of equipment or space put them off trying to get good shots.

EmptyName by Phil Carver, on Flickr

EmptyName 1 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

EmptyName 2 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

pull back shot
IMG_1894 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Lovely shots. Great to see the pull back

Still amazes me what can be achieved in tight spaces.

When you know what your doing

Gaz

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Was really trying to get the lighting right but it's hard with the limited space. Pretty happy with how they turned out though.

Had another go and managed to get these (actually my wife got the one below, as I was holding him, think she did great :) )
EmptyName 4 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

EmptyName 3 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely. There very dreamy looking

Well done the pair of you.

Gaz

Lovely set considering the set-up. Well done.
#2 has the expression of "Do you really want to do that?"
The last 2 images are just fantastic. He has beautiful large eyes.

Lovely set considering the set-up. Well done.
#2 has the expression of "Do you really want to do that?"
The last 2 images are just fantastic. He has beautiful large eyes.
Thank you. I'm pleased with them considering the space in which I had to work. Glad people like the lighting as that was the main aim. To get soft natural looking light :)

Good work, not sure about cutting your son's head off though!

Great little set. Love the pullback, it’s great to see what little you got away with. Only crit, which is personal preference, is the vignette. I’d probably keep these light and airy.

Last edited:
You've just proved that you don't need a big expensive studio to take quality images!!

Back