With Car Boot Season Approaching...

Jo

Name
Jo Fisher
Edit My Images
Yes
I know Car Boots have already commenced in some places (and yes I know some take place all year round), but my local ones are only just about to start.

Anyway, I'm really interested in trying some film photography, but I'm not sure where to start (though I like the idea of MF). Nor what camera's are the best.

If I was to go to a stall and see a few camera's in boxes/ on tables, what should I be looking for? Are there any tell tale signs that I should be looking out for, to avoid buying something that might cost me a small fortune to get up and running?

A list of potential 'great finds' would be awesome, along with a rough idea of how much is a fair price for each camera.

This will be the first year, for years that I'll be able to get around car boots, so I'm excited as I love a good bargain hunt. Plus it's the first time I will have been to a car boot since taking up photography more seriously.

Thanks for any help in advance :D

Jo
xxx

You ought to consider how you will display your film photo's.
That will have a big influence on the best equipment to suit your end game.
If you just want to shoot some film for the heck of it, stick with 35mm, its easier to get processed in the high street and scans are cheaper.

Car boots aren't the best place to buy cameras from if you aren't sure what you are looking for/at, I mean if it doesn't work its just a door stop.

I'll chuck a rangefinder in as a suggestion, somebody else can do the slr's.

Yashica Electro 35 G serise - 35mm fixed lens rangefinder, compact and well made, cheap, top notch glass, usually a 45mm f/1.7 yashinon, aperture priority metering.
There are several models but they're all pretty much the same besides age and lens length, 50, 45 and 40, only the GX has a 40
Expect to pay £5 - £50

Anything is a great find if its cheap and works :)

Car Boots are great! I have just picked up 7 lenses, 2 immaculate, 2 usable, 3 that need a little work, but repairable (parts from 1 to repair other 2) All for £25.00!! With m42 adapter will fit my Canon digital. Bargain!
Cannot give you a guide on prices as all stallholders will be different. Some may know about cameras etc, others will not, (these are the ones to find) Be ruthless with your haggling, be prepaired to walk away, sound as though you know what you are talking about.
Take a look around the posts on here, there is some fantastic advice available!
Last of all, good luck and please keep us posted!

I have a photographic memory that was never developed

FITP Yeah I know, but one can hope :LOL:

Joxby ~ Thanks! I like the look of that one. I'll have to keep an eye out. I want to try a few different ones if funds allow.

Wegotit ~ Good luck on your hunt ;)

Wontolla ~ :eek: Bargain!

Any Range finder with Leica on it for under £20 and I'll give you at least £30 for it :D:D:D

Just open the back of any 35mm film and wind it on press shutter and see is that works, try different speeds and see if it goes quicker and slower,alter the iris ( f/stops ) and see if it opens and closes down smoothly ,but if you see what looks like oil on the blades,look out.

Good hunting, I'll be out myself looking for owt interesting this summer....:D:D

ill probably be hitting the boot sales too this year, and looking out for any old om system lenses (ok not any old - need to be good ones hehe ;)). theres always a bargain to be had with film, as theres plenty of people who got a good camera 'back in the day' for decent snap-shots or a passing interest in photography who have now switched to digital and arent too fussed about selling on their old camera for a profit.

some even give them away. i often see good canon and minolta slrs (even a very nice leica with a couple of lenses once) and all manner of lenses in our local charity shops, at what can only be called give away prices, so you never know your luck.

check the light seals on the film door as the rubber /foam perishes and lets light in

Thanks for the tips and suggestions folks (y) I can't wait to go bargain hunting :D

Andy I don't mind at all. But I've already had a very generous offer from Canon Bob which I will be taking. Good luck on your sale though.

Thanks Jo

Andy

I've posted this before, but somebody bought me a camera from a car boot once.
The camera was ok, it worked in a mucky busted seals kinda way, but the lens was........a greenhouse :LOL:

2j6akpc.jpg

zna9w1.jpg

1zwmfkz.jpg

I wouldn't mind but that's just the front element that is photographable, there's so much inside further down, I can't see a sodding thing through it..:LOL:
You'd have thought most peeps would try looking through a camera lens before they bought it, even if they didn't know anything about cameras....ah well...it was cheap thank god..

:bang:

glad you've got an offer jo :) i bought a zenit E and lenses and filters for the princely sum of £10 at the last car boot sale i was at (i was meant to be selling but i usually come home with stuff as well :LOL:) - gave it its first test run on valentine's day this year, and as this was my first bash with both film and manual focus, i only got a few usable shots - but that was very definitely down to my inexpert handling rather than the camera...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/creamykiwi/3364016542/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/creamykiwi/3364016258/

so i'd say, happy hunting! :D

Ohhh pretty :eek: Joxby :LOL:

Creamy ~ that looks like a bargain! I used to do the odd stall myself, thoroughly enjoyed it to :D Apart from those people who crowd you when you arrive. We had stuff ripped from the car and all sorts. They didn't get away with it for long though, I soon shouted at them.

Praktica M42 gear is often seen at car boot sales. Cheap and can give decent results.

Back