Without doubt, the best negatives I have ever produced in 30 years of photography.

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
In the last week I have been spending my spare time reading Barry Thornton’s excellent book ‘Edge of Darkness’ and which as you will discover from my spiel further on, this title is very apt, although it could have just as easily been called ‘Edge of the Light’.

Although there are various things in the book that made me question how I had been doing things for the past 30 years or more, there was one part in particular that made me sit up and really pay attention, this was the bit about how a much slower development with greatly reduced agitation, can, with the correct type of developer (this bit is important) increase apparent edge sharpness (acutance) and reduce grain. He also went on to explain how over enthusiastic agitation whilst shortening development times can actually give rise to a large increase in the amount of grain and the lowering of the acutance (apparent edge sharpness), neither of which is particularly welcome in the search for making a good negative suitable for the making of a truly ‘fine print’ (surely the holy grail for exponents of film photography).

So what actually is ‘acutance’, it is the ‘apparent increase’ in edge sharpness between high contrast areas in an image. It also appears on areas of not so high contrast but the effect is much lower although again this will lead to an apparent increase in sharpness between these areas.

So, how does this work?

By increasing the development time and reducing agitation the developer has more time to work ‘on the areas’ it is in contact with. Where these areas are of high contrast, the developer in the less exposed area of the emulsion is drawn across into the area of greater exposure thus lowering the amount of development in the less exposed area (slightly) and increasing the amount of development in the more exposed area (again slightly) thus creating a slightly greater contrast especially at the EDGES (hence the title of the book) where the light and dark areas meet than is actually captured at the moment of the exposure. Another benefit to this is in the reduction of the amount of grain ‘clumping’ together. So, a win-win situation, unfortunately, like everything in life it is not as easy as just that, and there are other steps that have to be taken or adjusted in order to get close to the best out of a given film emulsion.

Some other little gems that this book has furnished me with this week is that most photographers overdevelop their films using the adage of ‘I’ll just give it a minute more to make sure’, I have definitely been guilty of this in the past, ‘fast films are less sharp and have more visible grain) than slower more contrasty films’ not actually always true as it is very dependant of how the films are handled by the photographer and the most important was that the manufacturers ISO ratings for their films were only a guide and often the film is underexposed as the manufacturers tend to want to overstate their films ISO to the high limit rather than at the ‘best’ figuratively speaking.

So, back to the original topic; I started to search the internet for details on how best to process a Kodak Tri-X 120 sized film I had already exposed at ISO400 in the Mamiya C330f and again I began to discover some things that again I had believed were written in stone. The first of these was that Kodak and I understand many other film manufacturers now suggest that their modern Black & White (not C41 though) film emulsions be processed at 24° Centigrade rather than the 20° Centigrade I had always believed the optimum. This apparently allows the emulsion to react better with the chosen developer and reduces development time (oh, hang on a minute, I want to increase development times to increase the acutance of the images on the film, this may well not be a good thing). The other thing that doesn’t help the emulsion is chemical shock, when the emulsion which is coated in an overly alkaline solution (developer) suddenly becomes coated in an acid solution (stop bath) to prevent further development to take place (this alkaline/acid step is required more when the developer has a greater strength {low dilution factor} and at a higher temperature {greater chemical reaction}, again this is not something we really want to hear), another fact discovered at this time was that all chemicals should be tested and adjusted where required as different results will be obtained with different tapwaters (I should have known this as I am the Asset Manager of 7 Water Treatment Works and none of them produce chemically similar water to the others), where possible, distilled water should be used and this will circumvent the above issues.

So aside from all the other variables: testing own film speed, using a specific developer, clip testing films, using a densitometer and a plethora of other things I decided to utilise my current (open bottle of Ilford LC29) developer and attempt to work out a dilution and time that would give me a reasonable negative when processed at 24° Centigrade.

My normal film processing regime (and has been for a long long time) is at 20° C with Ilford LC29 (the developer has changed over the years) @ a dilution of 1:19, 8 minutes development (6.5 minutes recommended with a rotary processor), as I was inversion processing (constant agitation for first 30 seconds followed by 3 inversions every minute) I increased the time by 0.5 minutes plus a minute just to be sure (as quoted above), 30 sec Stop Bath, 30 sec wash, 4 minutes Fix and 5 minutes washing with water changes every 30 seconds and constant agitation, so:
Dev 8 minutes @ 1:19 and 20° C (constant agitation initially and 3 inversions every minute thereafter)
Stop 30 seconds
Wash 30 seconds
Fix 4 minutes
Wash 5 minutes

I now had to change the development time to allow for a higher temperature, this came out at 5.5 minutes at a temperature of 24° C, I then had to adjust for a different dilution which I chose 1:39 and gave this double the time of 11 minutes. For agitation, I inverted the tank 3 times as soon as the developer had been introduced and then only inverted once every 3 minutes afterwards. This gave the following process steps all at 24° C:
Dev 11 minutes @1:39 and 24° C (3 inversions initially and one inversion every 3 minutes thereafter)
Water Rinse 30 seconds initially and then another 30 seconds with fresh water
Fix 4 minutes
Wash 5 minutes

So, what are the results like: They are I believe without any doubt, the best negatives I have ever processed. They have a full range of tones, there is tremendous detail in the shadows, the grain is really well managed and uniform and they look like they would be easy to print, they were certainly easy to scan. We have to remember in all this, the negatives were as is and previously shot at the manufacturers ISO400 light readings were taken with a Weston Euromaster II in reflective mode as I could not get into a position that would allow me to use the invercone, with a developer that is not recommended for use at that dilution (especially with Tri-X), and whilst I changed the LC29’s dilution and development time I only used normal tapwater to make up my dilution, a developer with a Metol base should really be used for this technique(such as Ilford’s Perceptol).

I hope those of you that use film will find my finding’s interesting and may lead to you trying your own experiments in processing techniques, the fun for me is just beginning. My sincere thanks to Barry Thornton.

Full image:
StavertonSignalBoxSqsmall.jpg

Half Full sized image 6000x6000

100% Crop
SignalBox100crop.jpg

100% Crop of shadow detail
ShadowArea100.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting post. Thanks.

I will give this a try.

The image below was taken the week before on the same camera, same lens and the same film Tri-X at ISO400 and using my 'old type' processing, the grain is very much more evident especially in the sky area, I will do a 100% crop of the original file later where I think the change will be very much more evident.

DevonViewmonosmall.jpg

These are two 100% crops of the above image before it was played around with in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 and whilst still at the native 594MB 10190x10190 pixel size, I have added some USM of 80% at 0.8 which is what I would have normally added to that size image, other than that, just as scanned at 4,800dpi with Silverfast 8 on a Epson 750.

100cropskyland.jpg

100cropLHside.jpg

Great post. Very interesting indeed, I will be experimenting with things like this next time I have a free week!

Just as a complete contrast to what this is all about, a friend of mine recently developed a roll of something in a very roughly measured solution of Tmax, ID-11, R09 & something else with a very rough average time at whatever temperature it happened to be. I have no idea how they cane out, just that they did. Just shows that you really cam push the boundaries & try different things when processing films!

Your scans look great. Good shadow detail, sharp & everything else. I'd be interested to know how they print though!

-J

Nice shots, and I also like shots from a guy who uses Acros 100, dev in 1:50 rodinal.

This is really interesting, I'll have to have a look at that book! Must be an interesting read.
Hopefully I can experiment much like this in time :}

Ed - try some caffenol CH diluted 1:1, I think you'll like it (y)

Thanks all for your comments.

This is really interesting, I'll have to have a look at that book! Must be an interesting read.
Hopefully I can experiment much like this in time :}

Good luck in finding either 'Edge of Darkness' or 'Elements' at a reasonable price though. I paid £40 for 'Edge of Darkness' from the US although I was lucky with 'Elements' as I got one from ebay for £25. Since Barry's death in October 2003 the prices of his books have rocketed and they are all out of print.

I have ordered the ebook 'Elements of Transition' which is classed as many as the bible with regards to 'Figital' (film to digital print). The website below has all ebook versions of Barry's books.

This a website with all 3 books available as ebooks

Ed - try some caffenol CH diluted 1:1, I think you'll like it (y)

Thanks Alan, I must admit I have been pretty astonished by the results so far and am now in the process of searching for a really good developer (and will investigate Caffenol CH) and finding my personal film speed.

Eddie, other than the difference in time to develop the negative, what's the difference between this method and what's called "stand development"?

That negative look amazing! (y)

Eddie, other than the difference in time to develop the negative, what's the difference between this method and what's called "stand development"?

That negative look amazing! (y)

Much the same I believe, the more I delve into the subject the more interesting it becomes.

Thanks, I have some Precysol EF staining developer on order, this makes the grain less conspicuous and is supposed to be able to develop any number of films together regardless of the ISO it has also been recommended as good for scanning. I already have a couple of films ready for processing.

Ed, I've used Precysol a few times and its a cracking devloper. I've managed to dev films that I've thought i'd ruined by being way off on the exposure and still managed to get a usable image from them. But for general use I now stick with Caffenol and I have a system that works with my 5x4 negs.

Mart

Ed, I've used Precysol a few times and its a cracking devloper. I've managed to dev films that I've thought i'd ruined by being way off on the exposure and still managed to get a usable image from them. But for general use I now stick with Caffenol and I have a system that works with my 5x4 negs.

Mart

Mark, I have had a look for Caffenol, but I could only find instructions for making it, although I did find a rather nifty website dedicated to it. I think that mixing my own may be a step too far at the moment.

Mark, I have had a look for Caffenol, but I could only find instructions for making it, although I did find a rather nifty website dedicated to it. I think that mixing my own may be a step too far at the moment.

Trust me, Caffenol is as easy as making a brew! (Just don't be making a brew at the same time and pour milk in the wrong one, I've done that:LOL:)

Okay I've had a read up on Caffenol, but has anyone on here have some specific types/trade names I should be looking for? I realise I need some Vitamin C (L ascrobic acid) some cheap instant coffee and some water free washing soda along with some potassium bromide (Kbr).

So anyone want to spil the beans (not coffee though).

Coffee - Asda Smart price
Washing Soda: Dripak Soda Crystal. Note it's decahydrate, so use 2.7x the quantity.
I use Sodium Bromide instead of KBr, Genesis Tru Blu Bromide Granules is what it says on the tub, not sure it's entirely as good as it should be, I need to experiment with a hgher concentration.

Vitamin C I just got a kilo from ebay in powder form.

Hi Richard,

Just made a couple of phone calls, next time you want proper Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous) aka Soda Ash just give me a call we use it by the 25kg sackful at work. I'm having a bag delivered to me tomorrow. the amount we buy it costs us less than £4 for a 25kg sack.

I've just bought 100g of KBr and 250g of Ph grade Vitimin C so just have to buy some cheapo instant coffee. I'll get that at Lidl.

What coffee would you suggest?

Last edited:
Ed hi,
in your second developing process you omitted the stop bath?

Yes, I used 2 water washes instead, this was to not 'chemically shock' the emulsion by going from an alkaline state immediately to an acid state which some claim does not help with keeping grain size tto a minimum. Not sure how much effect it would have in practise but then if someone had told me a month ago I would be using coffee to develop my films I would have looked at them as though they had 3 heads.

Yes, I used 2 water washes instead, this was to not 'chemically shock' the emulsion by going from an alkaline state immediately to an acid state which some claim does not help with keeping grain size tto a minimum. Not sure how much effect it would have in practise but then if someone had told me a month ago I would be using coffee to develop my films I would have looked at them as though they had 3 heads.

I see, do you think it may have any detrimental long term effects on teh negative?

I see, do you think it may have any detrimental long term effects on teh negative?

Sorry Matt, I don't understand your question. If it was will having not used the stop bath have a long term effect on the negative? not at all, the film would just have had the opportunity to develop a bit more than if acid stop bath had been used to immediately arrest the development, the film was then fixed and washed in the usual way.

As the developer was diluted quite weakly thus requiring the use of a higher temperature and longer time, the water used after the developer would have had a similar effect to the stop bath as it would have diluted the developer remaining on the film even further which would have prevented much further development to take place, the second water bath step would have then removed any remaining developer from the film leaving a pretty chemical neutral environment prior to the fixer taking place.

I was taught that the fixing time should be: twice the clearing time plus one.

Thus if you use a bit of a leader from 35mm film and drop it in some working strength fixer and measure the time the film takes to clear, then for your film in the tank, double that and add a minute. For new Ilford Hypam fixer at a Working Strength of 1:4 the clearing time is usually about 45 seconds which using 2X+1 is about 2.5 minutes, when the clearing time has trebled (circa 2.25 mins) which would give us a working time of circa 5.5 minutes then the solution should be discarded and fresh made up.

Back