Woburn Deer in the snow

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

A few deer in the snow, most of the deer were huddled up in an area out of reach of the footpaths and in fence paddocks.

Mist had hit by the time we had found any, I've tried to work it out.

2 in the grounds, 1 making a run for it on the wrong side of the wall :LOL:

Thank you for looking, C&C welcome as always :)

1/250 - f5.6 - ISO 250 - @600mm FF

Young Fallow in the snow by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

1/160 - f5.6 - ISO 320 - @600mm FF

Young Sika 1 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

1/160 - f5.6 - ISO 320 - @600mm FF

Young Sika 2 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

The one on the run..
1/160 - f5.6 - ISO 200 - @600mm FF plus half crop

Escaped by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
The fence makes good leading lines and gives a nice sense of scale IMHO

I think they're all good pictures but the first does stand out for me. All well taken Gav :D

PS.
I think No.4 is a close second as the more I look at it the more I like it for being a bit different and a lovely picture. Maybe put it equal 1st with No.1 :D but I might try cropping out the very out of focus areas at the bottom left and bottom edge. I think with a tighter crop to exclude those areas it'll be even better :D

Last edited:
I think they're all good pictures but the first does stand out for me. All well taken Gav :D
Thanks Alan (y)
PS.
I think No.4 is a close second as the more I look at it the more I like it for being a bit different and a lovely picture. Maybe put it equal 1st with No.1 :D but I might try cropping out the very out of focus areas at the bottom left and bottom edge. I think with a tighter crop to exclude those areas it'll be even better :D
I probably should have cropped more, but as I'd hacked it down so much, I left it there fearing IQ would have taken a nose dive.
I will add a crop later (y)

Thanks Alan (y)

I probably should have cropped more, but as I'd hacked it down so much, I left it there fearing IQ would have taken a nose dive.
I will add a crop later (y)

Ah. You know best and with the out of focus areas it is still a very nice picture. As I said, the more I look at it the more I like it.

Well done :D

The fence makes good leading lines and gives a nice sense of scale IMHO
Yes I agree with that, the fence adds a lot to the image but the Deer remains the prominent feature. A really nice composition.

Lovely shots Gav.

Torn between No1 & No4 but I think No4 is definitely my favourite.

Just, to me at least, feels more wild and a magical chance encounter on a snowy winter walk.

Much like Alan said I do find the bottom left corner a tad distracting/eye catching but having read your response understand why you have settled with that crop. Having similar with some bird shots fro the weekend that I just couldn't get close enough too that are needing similar to work and worry about going too far.

Lovely shots though.

Last edited:
Great set Gav #1 for me too, closely followed by the last one. :)
And I'm not even going to suggest that you clone or crop out the fence :D

"Excellent set of wildlife style captures Gav, liking them all but #1 is a "Cracker".

Ah. You know best and with the out of focus areas it is still a very nice picture. As I said, the more I look at it the more I like it.

Well done :D
Thanks, Alan. Image below ;)
Yes I agree with that, the fence adds a lot to the image but the Deer remains the prominent feature. A really nice composition.
Thank you, Keith (y)
Lovely shots Gav.

Torn between No1 & No4 but I think No4 is definitely my favourite.

Just, to me at least, feels more wild and a magical chance encounter on a snowy winter walk.

Much like Alan said I do find the bottom left corner a tad distracting/eye catching but having read your response understand why you have settled with that crop. Having similar with some bird shots fro the weekend that I just couldn't get close enough too that are needing similar to work and worry about going too far.

Lovely shots though.
Thank you, Rob. It was wild and magical.. the bugger had escaped :LOL:
I try not to crop and like to get it right with field craft where possible, but sometimes we need to cheat ;):LOL::exit:
Great set Gav #1 for me too, closely followed by the last one. :)
And I'm not even going to suggest that you clone or crop out the fence :D
Thank you, Chris (y);)

"Excellent set of wildlife style captures Gav, liking them all but #1 is a "Cracker".
Thank you, George (y)

Escaped re crop.jpg

Thank you, Rob. It was wild and magical.. the bugger had escaped :LOL:
I try not to crop and like to get it right with field craft where possible, but sometimes we need to cheat ;):LOL::exit:

View attachment 376109
Lol. Cheat is largely my middle name these days. Keep eyeing up longer lens but can not justify yet.

That crop works much better to my eye and draws me straight to the deer (y)

That's a lovely shot (the portrait orientation crop) Gav :D

I think that crop make it the equal or maybe even better than the excellent No.1 for me :D

Of the originals and this crop which do you like best?

That's a lovely shot (the portrait orientation crop) Gav :D

I think that crop make it the equal or maybe even better than the excellent No.1 for me :D

Of the originals and this crop which do you like best?
I have to confess the crop IQ is ok, it's a cleaner image too (y)

The last one all day long for me Gav. I get that people like the first, and the deer itself is lovely but the fence shows its clearly in a deer park.

Number 4 looks far more natural and gives a great look at the snowy environment

Mike

The last one all day long for me Gav. I get that people like the first, and the deer itself is lovely but the fence shows its clearly in a deer park.

Number 4 looks far more natural and gives a great look at the snowy environment

Mike
Thank you, Mike (y)

Nice Bud, as always. The cropped version of the last one for me.

All just lovely.

Like the light colouring of the Deer in the first.

Gaz

Back