Woburn Waxwings

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Between Christmas and New Year I took the opportunity to upgrade to a 7D. I'm still really getting used to it but am really pleased that I did. Also had the time to get to Woburn where there was a flock of 120 waxwings. They were very skitish and wouldn't sit still for long.

With a flat light this was taken at 1600 iso as a test to see how far it could go. Its also a pretty big crop on the original RAW file.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome but any pointers on the photo or 7D (what is best for the autofocus settings?) welcome.

Stuart these are such acrobatic birds, which your image clearly shows, the light has sucked the life from the image overall, and its a bit soft. I cant read your exif data so i cant comment on your settings. It took me 20 years to get the shot i wanted of a waxwing, and ive yet to see one this year.

Hope this is helpful and someone can advise you on the 7D

regards brian.

Thanks for the help. It is soft although I think I hit the berries quite well!

Its the custom function on autofocus that I'm looking for advice on. Should it be set slower or faster for bird photography? Any thoughts on this and other things appreciated.

Does the 7D not have a custom function to make the focus point smaller?

Thanks for the help. It is soft although I think I hit the berries quite well!

Its the custom function on autofocus that I'm looking for advice on. Should it be set slower or faster for bird photography? Any thoughts on this and other things appreciated.

If it's set on slower its slower to switch focus to something passing between you and what you are focused on. If its set to fast it will auto focus on anything in between you and your subject quicker. If that makes sense.

ron

Last edited:
I don't think so. There is one that speeds up or slows the reaction time if you move off subject. I thinks its to do with moving off a subject you are tracking so the lens doesn't go off hunting focus. Just not sure for what situations would would want it slower or faster, and does it make much difference.

So, for bird photography then its a case of adjusting it depending on the subject? Someone tell me if I've got this wrong but for tracking birds in flight its best to be set slow. For a fairly static bird (such as the waxwing above) its best to have it faster?

I don't think so. There is one that speeds up or slows the reaction time if you move off subject. I thinks its to do with moving off a subject you are tracking so the lens doesn't go off hunting focus. Just not sure for what situations would would want it slower or faster, and does it make much difference.

Exactly what I said!. If you move off your focus point it will try to refocus on something else. If its set to slow it will stay on your subject longer. If its set to fast it will focus on anything in between you and your subject quicker.

Ron

Back