Wokingham Photographic (Optech-Online) - Very poor service

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
A few weeks ago I was shopping for some Optech bits and came across this website - http://www.optech-online.co.uk/ - which had the best prices. Now call me naive, but I didn't bother to investigate deeply and simply placed my order, thinking that I was actually buying direct from Optech's own UK online retail store. It wasn't until I completed my payment details that it turned out I was actually dealing with Wokingham Photographic. Still, no harm, so I thought.

Anyway, the order was placed and my credit card charged immediately, on 4th August. I phoned a few days later to query progress and was told they were awaiting stock. A few more days later I phoned again and it was the same story. After two weeks I phoned one last time, to find out what was happening and still it was the same story - awaiting stock. Now this is from a company that plainly markets itself with the Optech name, and one which you would think would have no problem at all in fulfilling orders. Anyway, seriously annoyed by the apparent deception when I placed the order, and the complete failure to deliver anything at all, despite having taken payment, I canceled the order over the phone and backed this up with an email reply to the order confirmation.

A few days later I checked my credit card and found no sign of a refund. I phoned them up. All I got at the other end of the line was a sort of "mumble mumble" noise. It seemed the person I was talking to had no clue what the story was and absolutely zero interest in finding out. It's now eight days since I canceled the order, and they've had somebody's money for over three weeks. I have initiated a dispute with my credit card company and hope these jokers at Wokingham Photographic get a kick up the backside from their bank.

They've had ample opportunity to put things right and frequent reminders to do so. They appear to have done sweet F.A. My advice - steer clear.

Hopefully the value of the order wasn't too much but that's not the point anyway. If you click on about us they seen to operate a few brand specific sites and I'm sure they don't carry stock of everything. It's a father and son operation.....more like Steptoe and Son.

I'd be happier if they simply traded as Wokingham Photographic, which they also do, and did not call themselves "Optech Online" online as well. I'd cut them more slack for a bit more transarency in who they really are. As it is they have set an expectation they have fallen well short of meeting. It seems very disingenuous to represent themselves as "Optech Online" when they are not part of the Optech operation and don't have, and can't even get, stock.

Either way, taking money without having goods available does seem a slippery tactic, and failing to refund equally promptly, or at all, really is taking the ****.

Whichever way you look at it, it is dreadful customer service.

p.s. order value was just under £50 with delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised to hear this. These guys are normally very very good, not only that but nothing is ever too much trouble for them. Not used them for a year or so though.

Interesting comment from Icecavern. I have used them (been in the shop) a couple of times & have had lack of interest on one occasion & was mildly ripped off on the second

Well I've just checked my credit card account, and finally the refund has appeared. At least that saves me filling out the "dispute" paperwork, but did the experience really have to be as painful as they chose to make it? (rhetorical)

I wouldn't put up with that again simply in order to save a couple of quid.

Back