"WOMPY" Speedboat rides

This page has a photo of the Grand Hotel, Felixstowe (second pic, second row) and it's certainly the same building as in the OP's first photo http://www.oldstratforduponavon.com/felixstowe.html

Even better is this shot back from the pier, about 1/3 of the way into the photo from the left you can see the white hut on the beach in front of the Grand Hotel. There are a few boats pulled up on the beach and possibly offering trips round the bay (anyone seen Alec Guiness in The Card?).

Last edited:
morning Jimmy

ah what great pics to see, now that I'm looking on my monitor rather than a phone :D
apologies for questionning the location, I was getting my wires crossed that the pics were 60s, but misread your initial post that it was other negatives you had from the 60s :)

would be really interested to see any others you may have, especially if you think they're Felixstowe or are seaside ones.

would be happy to pop down to the seafront and take some snaps so you can compare "then & now" :)

would be really interested to see any others you may have, especially if you think they're Felixstowe or are seaside ones.

would be happy to pop down to the seafront and take some snaps so you can compare "then & now" :)

I haven't come across anymore seaside shots yet .....I do have lots of negs to go through of other interest including some glass plates of Tower Bridge in London which I'm hoping to scan soon.

I love to have comparison shots of the locations along with whatever history I can get hold of, hence why i post the images on here so if you wish to obtain some modern shots then that is very kind ...ideally of a similar angle ( if possible) to the original shots.

Keep an eye on my threads for other old images that I occasionally post.

11755286.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-08

IMAG0034.jpg

sorry it's not quite the same angle, but you can't get onto that part of the beach at the moment due to sea defence work... but will try again when you can :)

Thanks Ben, That's a good effort regardles of the angle.
Strange to see grass instae of pebbles in the foreground!

Thanks Ben, That's a good effort regardles of the angle.
Strange to see grass instae of pebbles in the foreground!

I'll pop back when all the fencing's down and take a proper recreation, with pebbles 'n' all ;)

Back