Wonky Horizons that look correct. Help ASAP, please.

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Guys 'n' girls,

I'm using the below image in an article about layer masking composite images to balance exposure. The horizon has always been wonky (I think), but it looks right this way. Every time I've gone to adjust it for the main horizon the pillers and groyne posts look wonky. It's driving me nuts and has done for 4 years. I need to sort it out as I really want to use this shot.

4584034842_d77442e923_o.jpg

The photo isn't sorted, but it's visible now. Help!

The horizon is wonky. I've downloaded to have a play in LR. I think the issue is the second most prominent post, it is very wonky! But it gives the impression that the rest of the image is out. Well at least it does to me. Also the first post (right hand side) is tapered, the left edge look like it should be about right. Also there is a small headland just butting in on the left side which gives the impression of a slant.

I straightened it for the horizon and it looks fine to me.

Is the horizon the top of the wave ? If so the perspective would mean it should slope slightly as it gets further away.

As for the posts - It's highly unlikely they're vertical anyway. Add to that they're all at different angles then I'm not sure I'd worry. They're wonky enough for anybody looking at the image that it's just the way they are.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the left hand side distant horizon that had always fooled me.

Given your horizon is the top of a wave, the perspective would mean it should slope slightly as it gets further away. Looks fine to me.

As for the posts - It's highly unlikely they're vertical anyway. Add to that they're all at different angles then I'm not sure I'd worry. They're wonky enough for anybody looking at the image that it's just the way they are.
That's what I thought. Now I'm more confused.

I edited my post after you quoted me.

I wasn't sure if the horizon was the top of the wave or if there was a sea horizon behind.

If it's the wave then it should slope. If it's the sea then it should be level.

I edited my post after you quoted me.

I wasn't sure if the horizon was the top of the wave or if there was a sea horizon behind.

If it's the wave then it should slope. If it's the sea then it should be level.
I have to look closely at the RAW. I can't be sure it's a wave or the horizon, but the post on the distant groyne and that area suggests its fine.

Just viewed it bigger and I agree about the distant pole.

I'd personally leave the horizon as it is.

I think it's one of those examples where exactly level can look odd but if it looks right, it is right.

Just viewed it bigger.

I'd personally leave the horizon as it is.

I think it's one of those examples where exactly level can look odd but if it looks right, it is right.
Except I'm writing a series of articles about seascapes and one of the key points is about getting the horizon level...

Except I'm writing a series of articles about seascapes and one of the key points is about getting the horizon level...

Perhaps choose a different example to demonstrate that particular point ?

Perhaps choose a different example to demonstrate that particular point ?
This is to demonstrate the composite technique. I don't have another that I needed to do that with. I could lie, I suppose, but that seems unsporting!

How about putting a slant on it (excuse the pun) and highlight the fact that whilst you should ensure horizons are level, it ultimately boils down to whether the horizon looks correct.

How about putting a slant on it (excuse the pun) and highlight the fact that whilst you should ensure horizons are level, it ultimately boils down to whether the horizon looks correct.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Tricky thing is that they're different articles in a series. I might just jiggle the shots around and use something else.

Looks like it needs a slight CW rotation to sort the horizon, but that might cause the pillars to you like they aren't vertical. The 2nd from the right looks like it's leaning as it is.

I have the same issue, often things just are not horizontal, not the horizon, of course, and the photograph just looks odd because I want everything perfect. Sometimes they aren't.

Cheers.

Why not try levelling the horizon first, then using one of the warp tools to re-align the posts?

It's all done and dusted now, David.

Back