Wood duck

• Thread starter Deleted member 11790
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11790

Wood duck at Reddish Vale stockport. Know these are a bit special but am having trouble trying to find numbers in the UK ???????? Can anyone help with this info
CSC_0393.JPG CSC_0395.JPG

Reactions: KAS
As it is a non native that is only "in the wild" because of escapees from private collections it seems there are no definitive counts. In your locale perhaps the county wildlife trust might have reports and an approx figure?

IMO as a non native I hope it does not cross breed!

Having said that it is a nicely marked bird.

it did seem to group and swim with the mallards but just seemed to like safety in numbers. they dont seem to have cross bred in recent years

I know nothing of numbers and haven't seen/heard anything of cross-breeding but a very colourful bird. :)

There was a female on my local reservoir for a long time who also tagged along with the mallards, though the mallards sometimes seemed to be trying to disown her and there was never any sign of breeding. She's not there now so I don't know what happened to her. She was a lovely looking girl but the male is something else - reminds me of a manderin but in green. I've never seen a male in the feather.

I doubt if they can interbreed with Mallard. There are a lot of "Manky Mallards out there but they have generally crossed with domestic ducks like Aylesbury or Indian Runner Duck which are just selectively breed Mallard so have very similar genetics.

Back