Wood preserver help

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
As per the image below, I need to source the wood preserver that's on this window and I'm hoping someone can tell me what it is. It's on all the wondows in the house both inside and out and the fence along the front garden. It was first put on about 25 years ago (by the council when they renovated the house). We got 5 liters of it from one of the workmen at the time and it lasted for many years but is now gone and I have no idea what it is. As I hope you can see it's not a stain but more like a paint, normal wood preservative stuff just rolls off it.

Originally it was much much darker brown, almost black and inside it's still in pristene condition. This window is south facing and gets all the sun and weather so is the worst example.

Just asked husband who is in the building trade and he doesn't know but he has said that they possibly don't sell it anymore as a lot of those sorts of things were lead based but he's not sure......

Thanks kelack, I don't think it's lead based, I reckon they stopped using lead in paint products quite a while before that. I do seem to remember something about it being quite expensive, certainly one application lasts a long time.

:LOL: @Joe T

Sorry can't help then Steep.....

Is it my screen or does it look pink on others.

It is very faded now, I might take a shot of a better looking section tomorrow.

The reason the "new" stuff wont take is because

a. the old is still doing its job although the astetics arnt
b. the "new" comercially supplied stuff is water/acrylic based and will not take to any oil based product, especially those that are designed to repel water.

Cuprinol Timbercare is "supposed" to go over old weathered Creosote although I have not tried it myself.

Bring back Creosote I loved the smell of that stuff

I used to install double glazing way back then....
Sadolin was what we used, and it was virtually the standard. It was expensive, but one coat was enough, and it lasted !
However, you do need to prepare the surface, as from the picture, it looks like the old coating needs to be taken back to bare wood so that a new coating can be applied. I HATE varnish/paint etc as it sits on the surface, and doesn't bond (ie sink into the wood).
All the new stuff (spelt with an s followed by an h, then an i etc..) as it is water based, so totally useless unless on mew timber, and even then, it is still shi...
Go to a proper decorators merchants, and try to take some of the old stuff with you, to give them some chance to work out what it was (a decent picture will help with the colour, not the product).
Sadly, you have some hard work ahead of you - so many products used in the late 70's and early 80's were cheap and easy - many still are. If you plan to stay in the house, do it properly, and you will benefit - if not, then cover it over with yet more tosh, and let the next person replace the windows......!

Joe T - if you need that kind of help given who you call a girlfriend, then you need a splint...!

You can still buy Sadolin products, I used some a couple of years ago on the front door.....it outlasted the door though which was replaced last year with a uPVC item :D

Not Sadolin, Solignum Archetectural

Thanks guys, it's still damned expensive but cheaper than new windows :)

/edit Can't spell

Back