Wooden tripod - Berlebach?

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not having a lot of luck today!! First I can't find a decent focus rail for sale in the UK, and will have to order from the US.

Now I can't find a wooden tripod for sale at all in the UK!!

Does anybody have any experience of the tripods??

Mr CAD apparently have some in stock, but I can't load their website.

Does anybody else know of anybody who sells them, new or used.

It needn't be a Berlebach, but something of similar quality.

Mr CAD has 34 Berlebach in stock Doug. Site loads for me - if a tad slow and I'm on a very fast connection.

Doug, why would you want a wooden one?

Not a flippant remark,but a genuine question.....:shrug:

Doug, why would you want a wooden one?

Not a flippant remark,but a genuine question.....:shrug:

Wood has a very low resonant frequency and is the best option for dampening out any induced oscillation....either from the mirror/shutter action or wind induced on the lens and legs themselves.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that makes sense

Lordy, they are a pretty penny.........:eek:

Wood has a very low resonant frequency and is the best option for dampening out any induced oscillation....either from the mirror/shutter action or wind induced on the lens and legs themselves.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You beat me to it.

I'm starting to get into macro in a big way, hence my search for a decent macro rail also.

In my attempts so far, I've noticed that there is a huge difference in sharpness using the 'mirror up' mode on the D300. I've also noticed that using different tripods, ie a Manfrotto Carbon I 440 and an aluminium Manfrotto 475 ProB (which is very heavy - essentially a studio tripod) can show a small but distinct and significant difference in the quality of the image.

I've read that using a 'quality' wooden pod can improve ultimate sharpness, for the reasons you stated above. Whether it will remains to be seen, but I'd like to give it a try.

Here is some test data performed using these tripods, which seems to suggedt that they are virtually vibration free:

http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php?

I've got my macro bellows setup mounted on a wooden base stiffened up (resonancewise) with a couple of hemlock spars. I should be able to get 18-20x magnification from the rig and any vibration will really show at those levels. A suitable lighting setup is the current challenge.

Bob

I've got my macro bellows setup mounted on a wooden base stiffened up (resonancewise) with a couple of hemlock spars. I should be able to get 18-20x magnification from the rig and any vibration will really show at those levels. A suitable lighting setup is the current challenge.

Bob

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but would you be kind enough to post us a picture(s) of your set-up :).

Thanks.

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but would you be kind enough to post us a picture(s) of your set-up :).

Thanks.

T'will be done later today sir.....:)

Bob

Bob,

Thank you. I look forward to see them.

Geez macro is more than meets the eye ...lets see some shots when you have it set up there must be some stunning photos if you take macro this serious... good luck mate

I've noticed that there is a huge difference in sharpness using the 'mirror up' mode on the D300

Doug this is interesting, when using this method are you specifically talking about macro shots, or others taken from a tripod ie landscapes, also the wooden tripod i never even knew they exsisted, so i wil be very interested to see the results you post (y)

also the wooden tripod i never even knew they exsisted

Haven't you seen illustrations/photos of Victorian togs?

RAF-surplus Berlebach tripods were on fleabay regularly at one time.

(Shock! Horror! The RAF have even been known to use wooden aircraft!)

Haven't you seen illustrations/photos of Victorian togs?

Now you've said that yes i guess i have, just didn't really think of people using them today, that's technology for you :D

Slightly OT,

My speaker stands are designed to be filled with sand to reduce vibration, do any of the tripod makers do ally/fibre legs than can be filled ??

I Doug, I have a wooden Miller tripod for sale if your intrested?
Mark
I'm not having a lot of luck today!! First I can't find a decent focus rail for sale in the UK, and will have to order from the US.

Now I can't find a wooden tripod for sale at all in the UK!!

Does anybody have any experience of the tripods??

Mr CAD apparently have some in stock, but I can't load their website.

Does anybody else know of anybody who sells them, new or used.

It needn't be a Berlebach, but something of similar quality.

Hi everyone, Iam new to this site, just signed up today as it goes
I cam across it as I was researching Miller tripods.
Cheers
Mark

Back