Woodland Shooting (Roe Deer)

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Here's a shot I took at the weekend in my favourite woodland. Whilst I am quite happy with the animal, I find taking pictures in this environment quite challenging due to the tendancy for everything to be on the dark side and brown/green resulting in images that never look that inspiring and need to be cropped quite tight. Does anyone have any tips on shooting in the woods?*

*I should clarify I mean with a camera, not a shotgun.

DSC01318 by tomsouthall, on Flickr

Thanks

Tom

In my final image the crop is slightly tighter, taking out the distracting blurring at the bottom, but for some reason I can't get that image to post!

Last edited:
Is this the shot you are trying to post Tom:

DSC01318 by tomsouthall, on Flickr

Say if not and I'll remove it.

In terms of tips for shooting in woods - I could do with some myself to be honest so interested to see if you get any responses. I was shooting flowers in the woods the other day and as always it was about the lights - as in finding the shafts of light coming through the trees and using that to my advantage. Obviously if you are shooting animals you'd need them to helpfully wander into to lovely patch of light but I guess that is where having lots of patience comes into it!!

I like the eye contact in your shot but if this is the crop I would say think about the position of the animal. It is all very central and I think the composition could also help with increasing the impact of your shot.

I didn't notice you were from Reading - I am too!

Small world :D
I know people don't usually admit to it... hence you're "South East"? :LOL:

Dammit - I've blown my own cover!! :D

I take it you're a Dinton-goer too then? I go there quite a lot for macro bug shots in the summer but I've never been to any of the hides - or seen any deer for that matter.

I was there yesterday and saw a hobby (see ID confirmation thread in Birds), but also saw 4 deer, one of which looked exactly like the one up there ^^^ with the short furry antlers.
Got my first Barn Owl shot down there this evening too.(rubbish shot, but I was happy) :)

I was there yesterday and saw a hobby (see ID confirmation thread in Birds), but also saw 4 deer, one of which looked exactly like the one up there ^^^ with the short furry antlers.
Got my first Barn Owl shot down there this evening too.(rubbish shot, but I was happy) :)

Sounds like I should get myself down there more often. Would love to see a barn owl - and would be well chuffed to get a shot of one... or a hobby for that matter. Any tips on where to look? It's a pretty big area...

Hi guys, good to know there are some other Reading dwellers on here! The heron and the kingfisher were indeed at Dinton, I know the kingfisher is terrible but they are the first shots I've taken of one!

The deer was taken in the woods somewhere between the A4074 and Woodcote, I really like it there, very quite and often lots of deer and birds.

Be good to know if you guys have any good locations in the area, I've just started 'getting serious' in photography and have only been in the area for a couple of years, I've found there's often some interesting stuff on the Thames between Reading and Sonning.

Gavin - is there more than one hide at Dinton?

Tom.

Last edited:
I've still never seen a wild Kingfisher so you're doing better than me!!
But yes, I've recently discovered 3 more hides across the back of the rowing lake and across the road to Lavells Lake. Well worth a visit :)

Back