Edit My Images
Yes
a stack of 45 images for this one, with increased aperture at either end to make the focus change less abrupt

26755118615_7477ae2a1c_o.jpg

Wow very nice! I've never seen a woodlouse in so much detail (but then I rarely look at macro stuff)

Excellent, well done (y)

I like the idea of aperture adjustments, I'll make a note of that :)

Is that using an automated rail and you just set it off and the photos are taken in a minute or so?

Now thats very impressive (y) what stacking program was it ?

Many thanks for all the kind comments...

Is that using an automated rail and you just set it off and the photos are taken in a minute or so?

no, this is all done handheld

Now thats very impressive (y) what stacking program was it ?

this is done with Zerene Stacker, as it's really good at coping with the alignment issues you get with handheld stacking

Cor blimey, that is good for 45 images, don't think I could manage even 4.

Great shot - seems like the image was focus stacked as there was so much depth and detail (doubt it was though!)

Great shot - seems like the image was focus stacked as there was so much depth and detail (doubt it was though!)
You should really read what the op wrote.

Nice to see you here Iain. Big fan of your work! I always struggle with the higher aperture shots with my stacks for some reason. It makes a great improvement when you can nail it though, as you have done here :p

Many thanks for all the positive noises

Great picture.

I really struggle getting handheld shots to use in image stacking. The slightest movement is enough to alter the angle of view and cock things up, and I think the best I've managed successfully is 3 shots that I could stack.

Any tips? Is it even worth bothering with a moving subject?

The beauty of stacking is that there's no need for flash or other accoutrements to get in the way, so for me it's just out and about with the camera, and if I see something that looks like it needs it's picture taken then I'll just go for it. If it moves, well then there's plenty of other creatures around. I tend not to bother going out in the sunshine as most insects are way too active, best go for an overcast sort of day - this also means the natural lighting is softer so no harsh reflections.

And in terms of speed I'm probably taking about 1 shot every 0.5 seconds so if it's a stack of 40 or so shots then the beast has to be still for 20 seconds - this happens more often than you'd think as long as you approach with stealth so as not to disturb it. As a sort of mark of respect I leave in the same way so that the beast isn't disturbed afterwards either.

Any antenna or minimal leg movement can generally be touched up but if the subject moves significantly I'll immediately start another stack or just go off and find something else to annoy...

Not sure if there are any useful tips in there, but that's how I go about taking stacks, hope it's of some use.

Nice work indeed

Back