Woodpecker Chicks?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I've just noticed that there are what appear to be chicks in the giant wellingtonia in our garden. There have been woodpeckers making holes in the tree for a few years, but I'v just spotted at least one bird in a hole about 8ft above the ground. I've read that woodpeckers generally start to breed from mid April onwards, but there are bird droppings around the bottom of the hole and around at least one other hole which suggests that they are chicks. I've also read that other species may nest in old woodpecker holes. I'll carefully take some pics tomorrow without disturbing them. In the mean time, is it possible that they could be woodpecker chicks? It's hard to make out what they look like as it's dark, but it's speckled brown on black I think. The bird is sat right in the entrance of the hole, which seems a bit odd to me, not that I really know what's normal for woodpeckers.

When I saw woodpecker chicks, they were sitting in the hole.

The parents were back & forth feeding & the chick was very eager, I guess!

I had a look during the day, and the holes are empty. The birds always appear at night, so I' guessing they are just some other type of bird sheltering there from the cold.

As you say, woodpecker holes get used by other species once the woodpecker has deserted the site. If woodpeckers were using them now you would certainly see daytime activity.

Back