Woodpecker rally

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Found some good spots with a bit of variety. Can be hard to do unless you know where you are going. Tried to reflect that here.

First time using my 100-500 as well. seemed to work

5G4A5533-Edit.jpg

5G4A5742.jpg

5G4A5889.jpg

5G4A5968.jpg

5G4A5976.jpg

5G4A6144.jpg

5G4A6400.jpg

5G4A6428.jpg

5G4A6438.jpg

5G4A6568.jpg

Too high shutter speed with them all,

You can actually see the tyre tread on 10 !

Too high shutter speed with them all,

You can actually see the tyre tread on 10 !

You are probably right although on a lot of them I was primarily shooting for both the corner you see in 6 and a close up as the cars got closer to me. If you look at pix 9 you will see how far away that corner was. I needed a quicker speed to capture the cars sharp up there given I was planning so,e big crops (didn’t post any of the bigger crops above) and I didn’t have time to adjust both the zoom and the shutter before the cars got to me.

Having said that I do like the fact you get a lot of clarity in the gravel

I wouldn’t say them all though - there are 2 with around 1/100 - 1/160 in there, unfortunately I wasn’t in a good spot for slower speed panning shots but sometimes you have to compromise!

Last edited:
Great pictures Andrew and nice to see the older cars still going strong :D

Reactions: A_S
A good set. My personal favourites are 1 & 16 as they are composed to show more of the dust trail being left behind so they invoke the sense of speed quite well. In respect to the shutter speed, I'd agree maybe a little too fast, but it's the age old balancing of blur in the right places vs blur in the wrong places :)

I would tend to crop image 16 a little tigher above the car/dust cloud to remove some of the bank. I think that would really make the image pop.

On a side note, how much dust did you have to remove from your kit after the event :)

Beautiful set , well caught ! I personnely like the high detail you have obtained. You have to love those old Fords !

Last edited:
A good set. My personal favourites are 1 & 16 as they are composed to show more of the dust trail being left behind so they invoke the sense of speed quite well. In respect to the shutter speed, I'd agree maybe a little too fast, but it's the age old balancing of blur in the right places vs blur in the wrong places :)

I would tend to crop image 16 a little tigher above the car/dust cloud to remove some of the bank. I think that would really make the image pop.

On a side note, how much dust did you have to remove from your kit after the event :)

I thought about cropping tighter but if you keep the aspect ratio you loose the perspective of the length of the dust trail or the edge of the dust and thrown up rocks to the side of the wheel and it didn’t look quite right

Very nice set. Love the Lancia shot....you can see the speed from the dust etc.....so what if you can see the tyre tread!

Back