Woodpecker

It's a chap. Red bit on the back of the napper.

Well taken :)

The detail and background are great.

Beautiful bird and good detail but I am never a fan of any shot with a feeder or similar, in it ...... so because of this it would always be a "no"

they can easily be avoided if you arrange perches near feeding stations

Beautiful bird and good detail but I am never a fan of any shot with a feeder or similar, in it ...... so because of this it would always be a "no"

they can easily be avoided if you arrange perches near feeding stations

With this I concur.

Potential here to get this woodpecker with a lovely background ,,a good thick tall perch stuck in a bucket of sand with some bait on should get the bird climbing up for you....

Potential here to get this woodpecker with a lovely background ,,a good thick tall perch stuck in a bucket of sand with some bait on should get the bird climbing up for you....

Is it peanut butter that they like Den?

I drill a hole in the log, branch perch etc and stuff fat balls in it ,its not good in the beginning as they have it all over there beak but eventually you will get a clean shot ,but it works for me

Thanks guys, however while I like to feed the birds myself, I have to balance that against too much encouragement, as I suspect my cats would like to see them up close and personal even more, and whilst they can't really be bothered so much these days, it's something best avoided...

Yes, baiting birds does sometimes have it's issues. Last thing you want is them to get too used to the circumstances and putting them in danger or becoming reliant.

Not all photos are taken to be sold or framed. I think it is a good shot despite the feeder, and a nice way to diary birds in your garden.

I use't to have about 50 Gold finch feeding at my station in my red Beech till Cruella Deville arrived.Sparrow hawk on the hour every 10 bloody minutes no nothing woodpeckers the lot. for got to mention Great take.;)

Last edited:
Back