Wool spinning

Great images Ian, having looked a loads of wool spinning shots I know the location is one of the main keys to the shots and your locations are spot on, #2 is my pick of the set, well done.

Really good! :clap:(y) I like the first one best.

I have seen these style before, but how do you get this effect with wire wool?

Really good! :clap:(y) I like the first one best.

I have seen these style before, but how do you get this effect with wire wool?

Basically you need fine grade steel wool, a steel whisk and something like a length of chain and a clip to attach the whisk to the chain. You also need a 9v battery. Take some wool and fluff it out a bit (more oxygen between the fibers creates a better burn) then stuff it into the whisk. Touch the contacts of the battery to the wool till you get some good sparks and start spinning. Word of advice though (and you'd be amazed at how many people don't think of this) wear a hoody or hat of some kind, goggles and also gloves help. Try it without a hat at least and you basically singe haha

Here's the kit I bought for less than a tenner :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=256419857757671&set=o.166733026706820&type=1&ref=nf

Last edited:
Basically you need fine grade steel wool, a steel whisk and something like a length of chain and a clip to attach the whisk to the chain. You also need a 9v battery. Take some wool and fluff it out a bit (more oxygen between the fibers creates a better burn) then stuff it into the whisk. Touch the contacts of the battery to the wool till you get some good sparks and start spinning. Word of advice though (and you'd be amazed at how many people don't think of this) wear a hoody or hat of some kind, goggles and also gloves help. Try it without a hat at least and you basically singe haha

Here's the kit I bought for less than a tenner :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=256419857757671&set=o.166733026706820&type=1&ref=nf

Oh right! Interesting. Thanks for that. (y)

Hi, Ian, #1 for me. I like the depth and colours. the spark arching over the tower...now that was well planned :D

Oh right! Interesting. Thanks for that. (y)

Jackie, we had a recent meet at Roundhay Park and will be looking to do more....feel free to join in.

Cheers.

Back