Wordpress - Hiding wp-admin?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I am absolutely ******* off with idiots trying to login to my websites. I've installed wordfence which does a great job but I'm getting bored of emails alerting me (ok I could turn this off).

The other alternative was to hide or rename the wp-admin page. I've read up that this can be done or even use a choice of plugins. I was keen to find out other people's experiences.

What do people recommend?

I was getting the same trouble as you, constant brute force attacks on my website.

I used "Limit Login Attempts" and also "Lockdown WP Admin" which gives you the choice to rename the WP login page address so the brute force attacks don't even get a chance to try to login in at all they just get "page not found" error :)

Can someone point me to show you did that ?

when i go to log into my site i get a message saying "Not Permitted"

driveing me mad cant ever log in

Yesterday was an absolute nightmare with literally hundreds of emails coming out of Wordfence to let me know about attempted logins. I quickly installed the Lockdown WP Admin plugin and used it to change the url for the wp-admin page and suddenly it all stopped. Great news.

Mind you since then I've spotted some more attempts albeit far far fewer. This plugin hides /wp-admin and /wp-login but doesn't hide /login so there is still a way in for these ******s

Why not just use a .htaccess file to protect the wp-admin folder with a password.

This means a would be hacker has to get through this password before they even get to the login page.

You can remove the meta widget in the appearance settings and make sure your password contains letters numbers and uppercase and lowercase and you should be fine

Yesterday was an absolute nightmare with literally hundreds of emails coming out of Wordfence to let me know about attempted logins. I quickly installed the Lockdown WP Admin plugin and used it to change the url for the wp-admin page and suddenly it all stopped. Great news.

Mind you since then I've spotted some more attempts albeit far far fewer. This plugin hides /wp-admin and /wp-login but doesn't hide /login so there is still a way in for these ******s
Hmmm, I'll check mine too, I hadn't notice the /login before

Back