Wordpress templates within a theme

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
No
I have a site made in HTML (since 1999) that I'm thinking of developing in WP next season : www.harriers-online.co.uk

Basically this is how I produce content. I use templates for match reports, match previews, player profiles and other associated pages. Every game I open up the template, add the content inside the template then publish (example http://www.harriers-online.co.uk/Preview Page.shtml )
As you can see from that I use find & replace to enter the team names and from the error messages I also use Server Side Includes.

I have a theme that I'm working on but cannot see anyway of producing final pages on the fly. I looked on the WP documentation and created a page template to use for the preview pages but it just comes out as a list of text and no formatting.

I intend to keep the existing website as it is but from next season go to WP using external linking to the older site. This will save having to import/translate literally thousands of pages going back 18 years.

So my question is is there an easy way to create various templates within a theme that I can use over and again without any loss of formatting/integration?

Back