Work Uniform...

The manager in question probably went on a course (I could just leave it there...) and believes a uniform promotes a sense of unity and teamwork, or he could just be a control freak.

Perhaps...if everyone had to wear it, which is not the case here...so I'm going to go for option 2 :)

From what you quoted from your contract you're stuffed, in my uneducated opinion on employment law.

This could be, far from being a control issue it could be a simple practical measure.
If your version of IT involves climbing under over open desktops, into the bowls of the floor to get at network cabling, then it's actually a sensible idea.

It means if you damage your clothing it's a £10 polo shirt the company probably gets at a big discount anyway. As opposed to a £100 Ralph whoever shirt the company may have to cough up for.

The other thing to look at is why wear out your clothes when you can wear out theirs! Company provided clothing saves a fortune, although the last one I had was impractical for use outside work, and the hat wasn't very comfie either.

In terms of advise, do you have an employee assistance program? Many company's do now, and they will give you free legal advise, which is better than an internet forum when it comes to the full in's and out's of employment law.

I'm afraid I agree with the earlier comment, the internet isn't a great place to ask for advice on complex legal subjects. Yes, ask away if you've been caught speeding, or you want to know if someone talking your garden gnome is really theft, there are simplish answers to those from people who do know what they are talking about (along with a great deal of dross from those who don't!), but this sort of thing is a solicitor job.

Last edited:
The manager in question probably went on a course (I could just leave it there...) and believes a uniform promotes a sense of unity and teamwork, or he could just be a control freak.

Are we the only ones who have picked up on the OP's bit about "new manager"?

Seems to me said new manager is letting others know who is the boss and stamping his authority as early as possible - people like that are to be avoided.

Has it been OK'd by higher management?

How many shirts are you given - bearing in mind you might get hot and sweaty at the end of the day and need a fresh one every day.

Who replaces it if it gets torn?

I would have been tempted to just have a quiet word explaining that you like wearing a suit and tie, ( I wear three piece suits and take pride in the way I dress - I think I understand where you are coming from on this).

You never know, the bloke might be happy with the image you are portraying.

I had the inverse once, dress down Fridays, hated them, took me weeks to explain that a suit and shirt without a tie "is casual".

Last edited:
Perhaps we're getting 'uniform' confused with 'dress code'? Our engineers work on the roads and are required to wear PPE by law - however they are required by the company to wear company logo polo shirts under their PPE. The first would be considered a uniform (of sorts) and the 2nd a dress code. Probably a grey area but I doubt whether a company logo on a T-Shirt is classed as a uniform. Here's what the HMRC website says:

What about uniforms

You can get tax relief on the cost of repairing, cleaning or replacing a uniform if:

it's a recognisable uniform that shows you've got a certain sort of job - like a nurse or police uniform
your employer requires you to wear it while you're working
you've got to pay for it yourself

Probably a grey area but I doubt whether a company logo on a T-Shirt is classed as a uniform.

If it's provided by the company and got a logo, it's a uniform and qualifies for tax relief (y)

A guy at our place used to arrive in his suit and change into his work issue clothes,he was soon tagged Clark Kent:)

I don't think OP was taking it quite as seriously as getting into employment law - more just seeing what others thought...

If I were you OP, I would sound out the rest of your team and if some of you would prefer to go back to the suit and tie then you should all raise it either one to one or in a team meeting if you have them.

Your new boss might be a total control freak - but he also might have thought you'd all be happier with the polo shirts. You won't know unless you ask - and contrary to popular opinion, managers are people too and you can have a conversation with them. If the rest of the team prefer the polo shirts then I would just let it go to be honest.

No brainer really, wear their shirts, wear out their shirts and keep yours for another day.

Unless...

The polo shirts are nylon and you work in an environment where static can damage equipment?

claim tax back for washing your uniform ;)

Back