Workflow advice

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I just wanted to describe my workflow in the hope that some advice may be given as to how i can adjust/improve or whther this workflow actually makes sense.

I guess im just after advice on whether i am over complicating things. I have described each stage and also a couple of questions er each stage.

So here goes

1 Connect 40d to laptop and open in 'my computer'
2 Copy the files from 40d (copy / Paste) to my RAW Negs folder in external harddrive. - Is this the best method of tranferring them from computer to laptop?
3 Paste to a new folder with a title that i recognise ie Pin Mill Shoot 24.09.08
4 Open lightroom
5 Import from current location. - I dont copy to anothe location and import as this eats up disk space.
6 Run through images deleting (from lightroom only) those that arent workable. ie bad compsure, overexposed etc Should i delete from file as well?
7 Perform basic adjustments in lightroom. Small corrections.Cropping, exposure, blacks, maybe even sturation etc.
8 right click the particular image and open with PSE 6
9 In elements 6 click auto contrast. Undo if i dont like result.
10 Perform any adjustments ie layers, dodging burning (i pretty much always burn the edges)
11 flatten image and sharpen. One click on auto sharpen is enough generally. Is auto sharpen the best way to go?
12 Save back down to the RAW negs folder, in same location as original raw, but as a Tiff file.
13 Close elements 6
14 Once saved, In lightroom i then have the original raw with minor adjustments, the tiff with major adjustments (if any were required) (tiffs being the elements adjusted)
15 Run through all photos and apply flags ie pick
16 Delete from Lightroom all non picks.
17 Export 1 set to a photos folder naming the folder ie Pin Mill Shoot 24.09.08 Jpegs. These are for easy sharing. Export a second set of adjusted images as Tiffs. These are for later work. Non lossy format for longevity.
18 Back up every couple of months to second hard drive and or disk.

Does this seem like a decent workflow or is it over the top. Am i making a meal of it. Lightroom 2 has the dodge and burn which would eliminate the PSE 6 for this but doesnt have layers which, although i dont use that much (hardly ever in fact), they do have their uses.

Also, for some reason I cant see the pics in adobe bridge. It has the thumbnails but no preview of the canon raw file

Any shortcuts, ideas and feedback greatly welcome

Many Thanks
Greg

It might be easier for people to comment if you number the steps...

Steps 1 - 3 can be done at step 5 copy to new folder and give it the name you want etc...

Step 6 - I delete from the drive at this point, but I do keep a back up of all pictures from the card on a separate drive, however this is purely a back up drive and when it is full it will get tucked away in a cupboard somewhere.

Last but one step do you always need to do this? You could export the files from Lightroom as and when needed, that would save a lot of disk space, especially from the tiffs.

Last step, ideally back ups should be more frequent than that, I don't know about you, but I can take a lot of pictures in a few months.

If you are thinking of upgrading to Lightroom 2.0 you would be able to cut down a lot on exporting to PSE, as you can use doge and burn, contrast etc within Lightroom, aside from making it easier it will cut down on the tiffs and having duplicate images in your library.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the reply,

Your right, step 5 could be used straight off. Copy from card and copy to new location in one go. I just need ot check that the ligtroom import will be from the folder not the card.

Good spot, didnt really think of this before

I have had a couple of instances (i think user error mainly) where i have had to uninstall lightroom, hence keeping a copy of the adjusted files in tiff

It takes ages to backup my folders, i need to look into some decent backup programme/software

Thanks forthe pointers

Greg

Do you back up your Lightroom library? If so all the changes are stored in there, I've set up Lightroom on different computers and just copying the library file over gets everything as it was on the first machine (assuming the files are on an external drive).

Cutting down on the files you need to back up will make it quicker...

ahhh,

I didnt know that was an option.

Ill have a look tonight then and see how i can backup the library to my external hard drive. Can you select the backup folder destination or does lightroom do that for you.

just reread your post....It seems that he library file is on the hard drive that the lightroom programme is on.

So, if i locate where lightroom puts this backup folder, keep a copy of that on the external for safety sake, then if i want to use someone elses lightroom i can connect my external hard drive, copy and past the backup folder to the correct destination for the 2nd lightroom and then import the photos?. Lightroom would then read the backup file and transfer the adjustments etc

Thanks again

Gerg

)
11 flatten image and sharpen. One click on auto sharpen is enough generally. Is auto sharpen the best way to go?

You'll probably get some opposing views to this, but I don't ever sharpen the 'original' image. Only sharpen for output - i.e. resize for web - then sharpen, resize for print - then sharpen.

It's unlikely you'll ever use the image at exactly it's native size - so when you resize it for use, you are also resizing the sharpening. Better to resize then sharpen.

ahhh,

I didnt know that was an option.

Ill have a look tonight then and see how i can backup the library to my external hard drive. Can you select the backup folder destination or does lightroom do that for you.

just reread your post....It seems that he library file is on the hard drive that the lightroom programme is on.

So, if i locate where lightroom puts this backup folder, keep a copy of that on the external for safety sake, then if i want to use someone elses lightroom i can connect my external hard drive, copy and past the backup folder to the correct destination for the 2nd lightroom and then import the photos?. Lightroom would then read the backup file and transfer the adjustments etc

Thanks again

Gerg
Both are true, you can set Lightroom to remind you to back up the library every week, infact I thought that it did that automatically...

You wouldn't even need to copy and paste, I think it is in the file menu that you can choose the library to open, if the picture links are broken you need to manually find one, then if the folder structures are the same relative to eachother all the others get found too...

Greg

Nip over to the Adobe site and download Lightroom 2.0. It's got lots of new tools, including, dodge, burn and a gradient tools which in many respects could make the transition from Lightroom to Elements almost a thing of the past.

Check out the LR 2 tutorials that are dotted around the web

If you have a memory card reader on the laptop I'd sugest just puting the card in it directly rather than plugging in the camera.
The pictures copy over quicker also you can control where they are copied and the file name in Lightroom and once copied they are immediately in the LR library.

Thanks all,

I think im gonna order lightroom 2 today. the upgrade is approx £80. but then do I REALLY need it. I do find it a little cumbersome to flick between lightroom and elements and then ending up with a raw and a tiff. But then again im not exactly in any rush.

I also have CS3 which i never use really and it all eats up space on my laptops harddrive...hmmm

Problem is my list of things keeps growing
ND Grad Filter set (Hi Tech £59)
24-105 F4L IS - £590
70-200 F4L IS £ god knows!
Cokin P sereies filter holder
Step rings
Ofshoe flash cord

And now lightroom 2.......will it never end!!:eek:

Greg

Thanks all,

I think im gonna order lightroom 2 today. the upgrade is approx £80. but then do I REALLY need it. I do find it a little cumbersome to flick between lightroom and elements and then ending up with a raw and a tiff. But then again im not exactly in any rush.

I also have CS3 which i never use really and it all eats up space on my laptops harddrive...hmmm

Problem is my list of things keeps growing
ND Grad Filter set (Hi Tech £59)
24-105 F4L IS - £590
70-200 F4L IS £ god knows!
Cokin P sereies filter holder
Step rings
Ofshoe flash cord

And now lightroom 2.......will it never end!!:eek:

Greg

with regards to the last part I regret the answer is NO!

Back