Edit My Images
Yes
After taking some pictures at a pre-season friendly last night i;

Straightened the horizon
Adjusted the lighting
Adjusted the colour
Cropped the image
Put it through noise reduction

Have I got this right or made any major errors?
Where does sharpening come in the list?

All thoughts welcome

Not trying to sound arsey or anything but i get most things right in camera to save on PP, I really cant see why we pay stupid amounts of money for all singing and dancing cameras then have to faf about adjusting colour, exposure, adding noise reduction etc.

Pitchside my workflow is

Import using XNView which enables me to view large thumbnails clearly enough to select the ones im going to open in Photoshop Elements.
Straighten the Verticals not the Horizons
Crop to 7x5 @ 300ppi
Caption
Save
Email or FTP

eeerm? your all listing or agreeing to straighten horizen then crop..OP has it as point 1 and 4 respectively.. I use the cropping tool to straighten (if req) the horizon so doing both at same time..

eeerm? your all listing or agreeing to straighten horizen then crop..OP has it as point 1 and 4 respectively.. I use the cropping tool to straighten (if req) the horizon so doing both at same time..

Nope, im not even straightening the horizons, while youre correct about the cropping tool having the straighten the horizons option at the same time its not really horizons which need to be straightened hence i dont straighten them.

Horizons shouldn't need to be level depending on the angle youve taken the shot from, its verticals which should be straight and the sooner folk realise this the sooner we'll stop seeing the wonky stuff appearing in the critique sections. :bang:

Nope, im not even straightening the horizons, while youre correct about the cropping tool having the straighten the horizons option at the same time its not really horizons which need to be straightened hence i dont straighten them.

Horizons shouldn't need to be level depending on the angle youve taken the shot from, its verticals which should be straight and the sooner folk realise this the sooner we'll stop seeing the wonky stuff appearing in the critique sections. :bang:

I only do the verticals too Gary......

you have lost me... seriously.. either your both taking the P out of me or I am completly missing somehting?

you have lost me... seriously.. either your both taking the P out of me or I am completly missing somehting?

Turn your camera to the sidelines and those horizons should not be horizontal, they should be at an angle. It's the verticals that need to be straight, and they're what you use as a guide when cropping/straightening.

Turn your camera to the sidelines and those horizons should not be horizontal, they should be at an angle. It's the verticals that need to be straight, and they're what you use as a guide when cropping/straightening.

sorry still lost.. i load my pic.. use the crop tool to both crop and straighten the picture.. it works perfectly.. others are taking two steps to do the same job and I cant follow.. ALSO surly when you fix the horizon your also fixing/effecting the virticle?

sorry still lost.. i load my pic.. use the crop tool to both crop and straighten the picture.. it works perfectly.. others are taking two steps to do the same job and I cant follow.. ALSO surly when you fix the horizon your also fixing/effecting the virticle?

I'm not arguing against using the one tool to crop and straighten, I do that as well.

We're on about making sure the verticals are straight, that's what you should use as a guide whilst cropping/straightening, not the horizons. The horizons can and SHOULD be slanted in some photos (looking to the sidelines), the verticals should always be straight, and therefore give a proper indicator of how to crop/straighten.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I use both.. I use the crop tool to straighten checking the horizon and anyhting like walls or lamp posts...i just "call it" straightening the horizon as its easer than calling it by everyhting else it does...

it seems we are all talking about the same thing... maybe we need to just call it straighten? :) or unwaobble or somehting more descriptive to stop the pedantics amongst us :)

Yup, verticals should always be vertical but Horizontals not so.

I think i will just leave it at straightening the picture...

i still dont understand why others have it as two seperate items... i still do it while cropping.. OP has it at point 1 and 4 thus sperate

As only a basic PS user when I have cropped it has been in a rectangle / square with 4 right angles which would leave the horizons still askew - Am I missing something??

Yes, you straighten using the VERTICALS as a guide.

Talk about crossed wires haha.

thats what i do.. if i get the verticles right then the horizontal must be right.. thus i straightened the horizontel.. doesnt mean i made it level.. just made it right..

see.. thats why i am just gonna call its straightening.. less confusion :)

i still dont understand why others have it as two seperate items... i still do it while cropping.. OP has it at point 1 and 4 thus sperate
Simply because it totally leaves it to the software to decide whats level and whats not which isnt foolproof, sometimes if theyre arent any "standout" verticals in the photo like a floodlight tower or pillar in one of the stands the software gets confused and attempts to straighten based on the horizons in the photo which weve already established dont necessarily need to be exactly horizontal.

I know you know what you mean though

thats what i do.. if i get the verticles right then the horizontal must be right.. thus i straightened the horizontel.. doesnt mean i made it level.. just made it right..

see.. thats why i am just gonna call its straightening.. less confusion :)

What you call it has nothing to do with it.

Can you really not see how horizontals and verticals are two separate entities? Once again, if you point your camera down field then fair enough, the horizontals work well, but turning your lens towards the sidelines will leave you with a different perspective. You would have to work with the verticals.

See following example, skewed horizon, straight verticals:

saracenssale120910028.jpg

Back