Working Boat and Butty In The Ice

Been there a couple of times, great place to get photos of an old fashioned street and shops. Oh if going the fish and chip shop is a must, all cooked in beef dripping. Well worth a day out thats different

Last edited:
Not been for a while but it's on my door step so it sort of gets over looked.

I love it there and the Chips are a must (not good for veggies though:D

I do like that overall, it's a really shame that detail is so mushy, but being familiar with the camera having played around with one for a few weeks it was as good as impossible to get a nice clean crisp image out of the damn thing, composition wise I quite like it as there's not is single modern element in view which is always a plus for heritage photos but I would have liked to have seen the whole of the rear boat past the main subject as you've already got nearly all of it, it would have also been nice to see down the canal if that was a possibitly, I prefer the conversion to B&W as I think that it helps both the clarity a little but also loose the dull tones of the colour photo..

Thanks Matt the image has been cropped to loose the moderen building so I may be able to get the backend of the far boat in (although I think there was a life bouy on a post there too) sadly the boats were in a short arm so the far boat was against the end of the arm. The colour version scored 19 out of 20 in a recent print competion. I had a copy doen in B&W but it didn't look as good.

When I get a bit of time I'll revist the photo and see what else I can do with it.

Yes it was a but of a step up going form a Z5 to a D3100 even if its only an entry level DSLR it was like going form a Robin Reliant to a Bentley!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Matt I the igame has been cropped to loose the moderen building so I may be able to get the backend of the far boat in (although I think there was a life bouy on a post there too) sadly the boats were in a short arm so the far boat was against the end of the arm. The colour version scored 19 out of 20 in a recent print competion. I had a copy doen in B&W but it didn't look as good.

When I get a bit of time I'll revist the photo and see what else I can do with it.

Yes it was a but of a step up going form a Z5 to a D3100 even if its only an entry level DSLR it was like going form a Robin Reliant to a Bentley!

Prints often I find look so much better printed that they do on screen, I think it's just one of those intangible things, as I don't mean different colours etc if that's happening you need to sort your calibration :LOL: it's a shame they were stuck in the arm but given that information I can understand your composition choices

Personally, I prefer the B&W. Looks more aged and in keeping with the subjects.

I would love to get some pictures of the fornt pair moving as the working boat is a steam boat. When I was little we followed it back form a rally a Netherton through Netherton tunnel I had to sit right on the bow of our boat to make sure we didn't run in to the back of it! Happy memories.

I had them printed by another club member as I don't have a printer yet thats next on my list but when I can get a photo printed and mounted in a 20 x 16 mount for £4 it seams a waste to buy a printer at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to get some pictures of the fornt pair moving as the working boat is a steam boat. When I was little we followed it back form a rally a Netherton through Netherton tunnel I had to sit right on the bow of our boat to make sure we didn't run in to the back of it! Happy memories.

I had them printed by another club member as I don't have a printer yet thats next on my list but when I can get a photo printed and mounted in a 20 x 16 mount for £4 it seams a waste to buy a printer at the moment

To be honest I've got an Epson R1800 but given its over £100 for a full set of cartridges I just don't use the damn thing, it's cheaper for me to order prints from a quality lab like Loxleys etc for the small number I print a year

Back