Working on improving butterfly shots

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been working on my butterfly photography by trying to improve composition and working within the limited DOF but maximising the amount of the butterfly in focus.

I had decided from the outset to use f16 with the 70-200 and extension tubes that I usually use. This meant upping the ISO to 800 at the start of the morning to get a decent shutter speed but was able to lower this to ISO 400 when the sun really got going.

I also found that even though exposures looked perfect on the histogram, the better looking shots were those with -2/3EC or even -1.0EC. I have been wondering if this is something to do with the scales on butterfly wings and the way they reflect light :shrug:

Here are the results. C&C very welcome as always

Common Blue
3786500204_6ba13e4e42_o.jpg

Brown Argus
3785691193_271628d580_o.jpg

Oh no not another one :D
3785690545_14b6529217_o.jpg

Green Veined White
3786499014_eb34dd2c9b_o.jpg

Last edited:
2 and 4 stand out simply because of the backgrounds :) Not sure on the EC thing with the wings but I've found my MkII shots look better with +1/3 usually. Maybe it's just a camera thing.

2 and 4 stand out simply because of the backgrounds :) Not sure on the EC thing with the wings but I've found my MkII shots look better with +1/3 usually. Maybe it's just a camera thing.

You're right about the backgrounds in 1 and especially 3, both too cluttered and distracting :bonk: I think I will restrict taking shots to only when the background is like 2 and 4 and doesnt distract from the subject matter. I have to learn to have a look in the viewfinder at the WHOLE image and not just the subject :bonk:

are you sure that your GVW isn't in fact a Small White?

I too am trying to improve my butterfly shooting techniques ...:(

I too tried this today with my 70-200.....all rubbish, I then put on the nifty-fifty and still not pleased.
At least you got a result. (y)
Bri

Just added it to my flicka

Number 2 is lovely - the BG and colours are all very complimentary. I would agree that the BG in 1 & 3 is distracting.

Nice shots here - Especially like #2. Have you tried to use flash at all? Interested that you are using F16 with such results. I tend to use F8 and trying to master flash. Keep em coming(y)

Back