Working with LR on 2 system

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hello Folks,

I am trying to work out the best way around this... Most of my processing would probably be done on my iMac due to the screen size. But I've bough myself a MBP so I can do processing while away from home as I love to see the images I have taken on my camera while away and do some processing..

I did though about having all my images and the LR library on a external HD but I think this not a save way as carrying portable external HD around all the time and plugging and unplugging to each system..

What I though is when I process new images on the MBP is there a way to move it over to the iMac along with it data of processing??

Hope I've made sense here.

Cheers
Andrew

Ive recenty been running Lightroom on both a MacBook and an iMac. I decided on trialling the external hard drive idea as I wanted to be able to quickly swap between using Lightroom on the MacBook and iMac and not just transferring data MacBook to iMac. I would be interested to hear why you feel plugging and unplugging the external hard drive into each system would not be safe as I can't see a problem with it and was recommended this as a solution in a previous thread. Standard hard drives could be damaged whilst carrying them around and it's a reason I've thought about upgrading to a SSD if I'm going to do it long term but currently I'm not sure I'm going to stay using both as I only end up reprocessing any MacBook edits when I get home. I have to say my external hard drive doesn't often travel about as I prefer to do most editing on the imac's bigger screen so it it is more occasional use. I have also set it up so only this years RAW files and LR catalogue are on the external hard drive. The previous years RAWs are 'archived' on the iMac internal hard drive. I also have automatic backups set up of the 'current working files' external hard drive to iMac hard drive. The iMac hard drive is backed up to another external drive along with time machine to a second external backup drive so everything is backed up.

One option I looked into was opening a new catalogue on the MacBook each time and merging with LR on the iMac it when I got home. It worked but I found it was a one way transfer solution (MacBook to iMac) and I ready wanted a solution to be about to use Lightroom with my LR catalogue file quickly on both computers. This was the tutorial I watched:

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/view/merging-lightroom-catalogues-from-laptop-to-desktop

Hi

Thank you for your information.

The reason regarding the external HD is if I drop it while away then I've lost all images.

I agree this seem the easiest and quickest way to have the work flow on both system. But like you I would only be using the MBP for processing while away or when want be with the family in lounge

Just need see which is best way for myself

Yea just export the catalogue on the laptop, then import it into your main catalogue when you're back home.

I use a Macbook for travel and this is what I do and I transfer them via Airdrop which is as quick as any other method really, even for big catalogues but I suppose you could use an external HD which gives you a bit of redundancy.

I use a Macbook for travel and this is what I do and I transfer them via Airdrop which is as quick as any other method really, even for big catalogues but I suppose you could use an external HD which gives you a bit of redundancy.

When you export from MacBook Pro what do you have ticked?

Just as default but also opt to export the original raws with the catalogue - can't remember the exact wording of the tick-box.

edit: and as a slight aside, I actually have one of the new little Macbooks, not a pro, and I find I do more and more on that as it is powerful enough for Lightroom and the occasional PS edit (despite what some people opine) and the screen, whilst not being my 5k Retina is lovely none-the-less and it means I spend less time locked away in my man-room.

Last edited:
Just as default but also opt to export the original raws with the catalogue - can't remember the exact wording of the tick-box.

edit: and as a slight aside, I actually have one of the new little Macbooks, not a pro, and I find I do more and more on that as it is powerful enough (despite what some people opine) and the screen, whilst not being my 5k Retina is lovely none-the-less and it means I spend less time locked away in my man-room.

That the very reason why i got myself a Macbook Pro as I got fed up being locked up in my man room too as missing some time with the family while they watching tv in the lounge. I did though about getting one of these little macbook till I saw this Macbook Pro at a crazy price.

The speed of this thing is lovely it quicker than my iMac now lol but think is i can run this macbook pro off my iMac but i can't find the correct cable as apple themselves don't sell it.. Mini Display Port to Mini Display port.

Good god i been thinking all day what the best way to do all this.

I prob end up just importing photos on MBP that i take while away or when i want to work out of the boys room and then just export the work to the iMac. I reckon this be the best way. Originally i though about using the portable HD as the Photo Storage and work off that on MBP and iMac.. I suppose both ways would work but which is suited best is the problem

It isn't about which is best suited to the problem but which solution is best fitted to you and you won't find that out mulling about it on a forum, you will find out through trying for yourself.

So what suited to you is... Having the iMac as your main photo machine with all photos on there etc.. MacBook you use for processing away from iMac and then you send everything over to it. And don't keep anything on the MacBook?

This is the way I am thinking of

So what suited to you is... Having the iMac as your main photo machine with all photos on there etc.. MacBook you use for processing away from iMac and then you send everything over to it. And don't keep anything on the MacBook?

Correct.

Well Ive just tried it both ways.. I guess I just have to stick to one method for a bit and then try the other method then decide which is best.

Does anyone know are these Portable HD good enough for using on MBP and then on iMac to work off?

It depends what you want/how to use the MBP and iMac. If the MPB is only going to be used whilst away then exporting catalogues is the easiest way. I like to have the option to use all of my current images on both the iMac and MBP so an external hard drive is the easiest way to do this. Being able to sit on the sofa writing blogs or updating my website whilst still having my current raw images and Lightroom catalogue quickly and easily connected is great. Also if I'm off out I can quickly grab the MPB and external hard drive to have the ability to edit any of this years images in Lightroom.

Well Ive just tried it both ways.. I guess I just have to stick to one method for a bit and then try the other method then decide which is best.

Does anyone know are these Portable HD good enough for using on MBP and then on iMac to work off?

I currently use a WD passport external drive. It is slower than using the MBP SSD but I didn't want to buy an SSD drive just to try out using an external hard drive this this way.

Hi

Thank you for your information.

The reason regarding the external HD is if I drop it while away then I've lost all images.

I agree this seem the easiest and quickest way to have the work flow on both system. But like you I would only be using the MBP for processing while away or when want be with the family in lounge

Just need see which is best way for myself

There is that concern but I have the external hard drive backed up to my iMac and the iMac backed up to two external drives plus edited hi-res images stored on my website. Whilst I'm away I still keep all of my images on the SD cards (I shoot to two cards so there is back up straight away). I could back up the LR catalogue file to MBP or to a USB drive so that if the worse was to happen I could easily import from the RAWs from the SD cards and either edit again or use the backed up LR catalogue file if I had it. The previous data on external drive can be restored to a new home once I'm home.

Standard hard drives are susceptible to damage from knocks. This could be lessened by using SSD portable drives. Ideally I would like to use two portable SSD drives as it would be the best option to ensure backup of data. The most important thing is to make sure you have more than one copy of the image files. That is important both whilst away and at home.

Recently Tom Mason did a video for WEX Facebook page of his backup regime on a MPB whilst away and on his iMac at home. It was interesting to watch. Whilst the kit he used is suitable for a pro the general idea can be done on a tighter budget.

Last edited:
Thank You for the write up.

Yes I get your point regarding the External HD so it all on there and just plug it into what ever system you want to use to access the images and do your processing I can see the advantage to this yes.. This could well be the way I be doing it but I can't justify the cost of SSD external as they are pretty steep for little space. Sure these other External should be fine if don't knock them about?> Just make sure have a few copies of back up then all be ok?

Another Option as some guys do it.. Have the LR library on a cloud like iCloud or Drop Box and have LR link to it on both system.. Of course you need good internet access to get this updated.. And import the images on the Portable HD for the MBP and onto the Desktop External for the iMac

Another thing I though is if I deleted of laptop I got remember which to delete of iMac. I guess having it on a external and plug it into which machine I want use be the easiest wAy

Another thing I though is if I deleted of laptop I got remember which to delete of iMac. I guess having it on a external and plug it into which machine I want use be the easiest wAy

Not if you work with LR catalogues.

So if I deleted a photo off my MacBook Pro the library get updates and it will
Delete it off my desktop?

So if I deleted a photo off my MacBook Pro the library get updates and it will
Delete it off my desktop?

Depends how you're set up but if you are using your laptop in the same way as me then you only end up exporting what's in the catalogue so that won't include deleted images and if you're using an external drive to store your images/catalogue on to share between the two then both computers are sharing the same catalogue so it is the same.

I'm not sure what else you would be doing?

Prob do it the easy way use the external purely for LR get another to have a carbon copy done

Well I have just been doing some different tests.. It appears the easiest way and fool proof way is like we all been saying is use a External Drive for LR with everything in it and just plug it into what ever system we want to work on.. So look like i have to go and buy another HD so i can do a Clone copy so i have a backup..

I been looking at this Carbon Clone and it seem that it just copy over what been added or altered so that help reduce the back up time I guess.

edit: and as a slight aside, I actually have one of the new little Macbooks, not a pro, and I find I do more and more on that as it is powerful enough for Lightroom and the occasional PS edit (despite what some people opine) and the screen, whilst not being my 5k Retina is lovely none-the-less and it means I spend less time locked away in my man-room.

Can you tell me do you have your Full LR cat on your Macbook aswell as your iMac as I am trying to work out what your doing.. since you say you do quite a bit of processing on your macbook now.. but your iMac being your main system

Still not made my mind up which way to go lol

Another Option as some guys do it.. Have the LR library on a cloud like iCloud or Drop Box and have LR link to it on both system.. Of course you need good internet access to get this updated.. And import the images on the Portable HD for the MBP and onto the Desktop External for the iMac

this.

Apparently (never tried it) if you have the LR catalog on dropbox you can have the main images stored on the imac (I think). LR on the MBP will read the catalog and then when you editi you edit on smart previews, the catalog is updated and then when you log back into the mac the LR o the mac updates from the catalog and all the edits are applied. you cant have both running at the same time though. This also means you can edit on the MBP whilst no internet connection.

However, Its been a while since I looked at this. Try the business section as I know a few guys there use this sort of method. It means you dont have to carry external drives

this.

Apparently (never tried it) if you have the LR catalog on dropbox you can have the main images stored on the imac (I think). LR on the MBP will read the catalog and then when you editi you edit on smart previews, the catalog is updated and then when you log back into the mac the LR o the mac updates from the catalog and all the edits are applied. you cant have both running at the same time though. This also means you can edit on the MBP whilst no internet connection.

However, Its been a while since I looked at this. Try the business section as I know a few guys there use this sort of method. It means you dont have to carry external drives

You sure this correct as I can never use develop mode when images not with me

You sure this correct as I can never use develop mode when images not with me

yep, if the images are not available to lightroom, providing lighroom has access to the catalog then LR will work on Smart previews

When I cull I import into LR and then put a small X at the start of the folder where the raw files are. LR is then tricked into thinking the folder is not available and uses only the smart preview. This makes culling much quicker as the image loads much faster.

Rgds

I've just look at my LR without HD plugged in I can view them but can't open them in develops mode

Right I have now cracked it I've got this Smart Previews working.. Ok does this use much space up at all do people know?

From Adobe:

For example, 500 raw images from a high-end DSLR camera may occupy 14 GB of disk space. The Smart Preview files for the same images amounted to 400 MB of disk space.

Depends what "much" means in your question... :)

Use smart previews, and build the catalogue in dropbox. you can access it anywhere then. Just make sure its synced before opening it on another machine.
A typical wedding uses up around 2gb of dropbox space for us.

Back