Beginner Workshops

Name
Nico Farigu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone I've recently purchased my first camera I went for the X-S10 with kit lens but I'm struggling to get to grips with it in manual mode, I figured some hands on teaching would benefit me a great deal.
I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any reasonably priced friendly workshops in the West Yorkshire/Yorkshire area at all?
I been on a couple of websites offering this and messaged them but have since had no response back.

Everyone learns differently and a hands on course might be right for you but, before spending your money on a workshop, if you give a bit more detail on the difficulties you are having some one will, almost definitely, be able to help.

There is also a lot of free stuff online about aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they relate to each other and the effect they have on the image. If you aren't familiar with these google 'the exposure triangle'

Dave

You can understand the exposure triangle full well and still fail to make the best decisions to support the scene

that sort of thing comes with experience but you can take great shortcuts by spending a day with some one who listens to you and can communicate

workshops are often a far better investment than more kit

just my 2d based on good (and some not so good) experience of workshops

Dave

Understanding Exposure by Petersen was what got me using manual more and understanding it - this book explained a lot of the basics in a way I understood. Then, its all about practise!

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I have watched various video's on the exposure triangle and do understand it in theory at its basic level but it is just not translating into images anywhere near as good as Auto mode which I wanted to get out of to get the best out of my camera. I was thinking some hands on teaching would be a great investment to help me progress better and at a quicker rate. I will be sure to check that out Simon thank you. Could anyone on here recommend anybody who provides this sort of thing at all?
Thanks again :)

I can't help with a recommendation for a workshop but if you post a few images up here that you are not happy with, along with the setting you used to take them, you'll get some useful feedback.

No one will have a go at you about the images; we all started from knowing nothing about photography and progressed from there - after 50 years or so I've already reached 'knowing a little bit'.

Dave

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I have watched various video's on the exposure triangle and do understand it in theory at its basic level but it is just not translating into images anywhere near as good as Auto mode which I wanted to get out of to get the best out of my camera. I was thinking some hands on teaching would be a great investment to help me progress better and at a quicker rate. I will be sure to check that out Simon thank you. Could anyone on here recommend anybody who provides this sort of thing at all?
Thanks again :)
I live in S Yorks and I’ll happily meet up, not to teach you to use Manual mode, but how to use your camera to make images.

I’ll explain what decisions it’s important for you to make, and the ones you can leave to the camera to fill in the gaps. The ‘how’ and ‘why’ of controlling the process and the bits of the process you don’t need to control. How a camera ‘sees’ light and how you can learn to see that way.

Whereabouts in W Yorks? I’m about 5 miles from the border.

I can't help with a recommendation for a workshop but if you post a few images up here that you are not happy with, along with the setting you used to take them, you'll get some useful feedback.

No one will have a go at you about the images; we all started from knowing nothing about photography and progressed from there - after 50 years or so I've already reached 'knowing a little bit'.

Dave
Thank you Tringa I will be sure to do that.
Haha I understand it’s a long and complex learning process

I live in S Yorks and I’ll happily meet up, not to teach you to use Manual mode, but how to use your camera to make images.

I’ll explain what decisions it’s important for you to make, and the ones you can leave to the camera to fill in the gaps. The ‘how’ and ‘why’ of controlling the process and the bits of the process you don’t need to control. How a camera ‘sees’ light and how you can learn to see that way.

Whereabouts in W Yorks? I’m about 5 miles from the border.

Hi Phil, thank you for the most generous offer. That would be a massive help for me to get to grips with it as it all seems a little overwhelming when trying to produce good shots.
I would be more than happy to pay you for your time of course. I live very close to Wakefield but can travel to wherever is convenient for you. Thanks again

Hi Phil, thank you for the most generous offer. That would be a massive help for me to get to grips with it as it all seems a little overwhelming when trying to produce good shots.
I would be more than happy to pay you for your time of course. I live very close to Wakefield but can travel to wherever is convenient for you. Thanks again
I’m off on holiday at the weekend, so it’ll have to wait a short while.
You’re not far away at all, I don’t want paying, but I’d let you buy me a beer.

I’ll PM later, but I once took a mate for a walk round Hooton Pagnell for a similar chat. That should be convenient for you.

edit to add:
Just for clarification that I know what I’m talking about, I was a semi pro social photographer for close to 40 years and I spent a few years in adult teaching. I’ve co-run a couple of workshops.

Last edited:
I’m off on holiday at the weekend, so it’ll have to wait a short while.
You’re not far away at all, I don’t want paying, but I’d let you buy me a beer.

I’ll PM later, but I once took a mate for a walk round Hooton Pagnell for a similar chat. That should be convenient for you.

edit to add:
Just for clarification that I know what I’m talking about, I was a semi pro social photographer for close to 40 years and I spent a few years in adult teaching. I’ve co-run a couple of workshops.

Nice one Phil - :)

I am sure that Phil will sort you out but one thing not mentioned, and often not mentioned when people debate Manual v. Auto v. Programmed modes, is that lots of cameras do not just decide the Aperture, Shutter and ISO on some modes, they also alter the contrast, saturation and sharpening depending on the subject.
This often leads to Auto shots being seen as better than the Manual mode shots even with the same exposure settings, especially as highly saturated images are so popular these days.

Back