World Press Photo 2012: Sports Category

I liked the rugby one.

The most powerful one for me is the drug addict/sex worker from South Africa.

Rugby one i either really like or don't like - i cant decide (!) It doesnt look natural, like its had some sort of over processing or effect on it. Half the time i see it i think its fantastic, the other half i dont.
The Rugby one looks to have had some noise reduction applied to the original file then downsized, the other thing is thats its out of focus, to me the focal plane is about 1 foot in front of the player, look at the grass.

The Rugby one looks to have had some noise reduction applied to the original file then downsized, the other thing is thats its out of focus, to me the focal plane is about 1 foot in front of the player, look at the grass.
Doesn't say much for a D3s then does it?

I think it is hard to tell at that size if it is in focus or not but I think the image has done well for the drama it brought.

I can see what you mean about the focal plane, but how do you know that noise reduction has been applied?

As much as I love Sportsfile's work, there's not much technique to the rugby one. The photo was created by circumstance rather than anything the photographer did. It's obviously a very nice shot, as an image it's strong, but worthy of 1st place?

Last edited:
I can see what you mean about the focal plane, but how do you know that noise reduction has been applied?
The grass tells the tale, but its more than likely the noise reduction was applied in camera, it isn't bad for ISO 8000 though

As much as I love Sportsfile's work, there's not much technique to the rugby one. The photo was created by circumstance rather than anything the photographer did. It's obviously a very nice shot, as an image it's strong, but worthy of 1st place?

it got second Patrick

Back