Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day

I cut back the contrast from image #2 in post 32 above and have submitted it as entry number 443.

You and Chris have had much more success than i had but aut at least I gave it a go.

Heading out of the village:

Pinhole TP.jpg

The other exposure was of the tennis courts where there were four players. I sat at a nearby picnic table and set up the pinhole camera on a table top tripod ( like I did on a wall for the above image) and with the long exposure, expected to obtain some ghostly images but nothing. No sign of anyone!!
The exposure time was nearly 4 mins and I know that anyone passing into the scene 'dissapears' from the enregistered image after a min or two of exposure but these guys were in the scene all the time yet there is no sign of them on the resulting negative. :wideyed:
It wasn't what I expected!

I'll dig the neg out of the bin if anyone is really interested in seeing the scene.

You and Chris have had much more success than i had but aut at least I gave it a go.

Heading out of the village:

View attachment 316877

The other exposure was of the tennis courts where there were four players. I sat at a nearby picnic table and set up the pinhole camera on a table top tripod ( like I did on a wall for the above image) and with the long exposure, expected to obtain some ghostly images but nothing. No sign of anyone!!
The exposure time was nearly 4 mins and I know that anyone passing into the scene 'dissapears' from the enregistered image after a min or two of exposure but these guys were in the scene all the time yet there is no sign of them on the resulting negative. :wideyed:
It wasn't what I expected!

I'll dig the neg out of the bin if anyone is really interested in seeing the scene.
I once did something like that, but stopped in the middle of the frame to be a "ghost " and it didn't show up for me either. Pop it up out of interest?

I once did something like that, but stopped in the middle of the frame to be a "ghost " and it didn't show up for me either. Pop it up out of interest?

I just knew that you'd want to see it. :facepalm:

You'll have to wait ten mins or so before i can scan it as I'm sat drying it infront of a heater having had to rinse it clean of coffee grain

No
I just knew that you'd want to see it. :facepalm:

You'll have to wait ten mins or so before i can scan it as I'm sat drying it infront of a heater having had to rinse it clean of coffee grain
No rush Asha , just whenever suits you.(y)

No

No rush Asha , just whenever suits you.(y)

Voila, some emulsion missing in places but I've salvaged the neg just for you Peter;)

Actually looking closer , between the second and third fencing posts running off to the left side of the court, there appears to be some ghosting of sorts.......but it looks to be on the ouside of the court, not inside!

Regardless , I was expecting a load of blurry streaks everywhere from four people running around.

Tennis TP.jpg

I actually use a knackered 35mm slr with a 24mm lens for framing then replace it on the tripod with the Zeroimage, but don't have one of those fancy gadgets that let you swing the camera through 90 degrees directly above the centre column to get tthe full depth of the 6x6 image. Maybe you could design a viewfinder and one of our 3D printer members could produce a prototype? I'm assuming it could work like the framing device in some WLF finder walls and wouldn't actually need a lens. :thinking:
The MPP 4x5 actually came with a view finder which consists of a piece with a small hole in it that goes on the flash gun mount on top of the body and and a wire frame that goes on top of the front standard, -
1619555103119.png

it's not very good becuase if you move your eye off centre then you can get more in the frame and I obviosuly normally use the ground glass. I also usually use the pinhole with the front standard as close to the back as it will go but it wouldn't be too hard to make a wire frame of the right sort of size.

Voila, some emulsion missing in places but I've salvaged the neg just for you Peter;)

Actually looking closer , between the second and third fencing posts running off to the left side of the court, there appears to be some ghosting of sorts.......but it looks to be on the ouside of the court, not inside!

Regardless , I was expecting a load of blurry streaks everywhere from four people running around.

View attachment 316882
I think we've both learned a thing or two about pinhole photography, so that's a positive to take out of the day. ;)

View attachment 316882
As I said here
... with a ghost who walked in and stood there during the 1 min 40 exposure

View attachment 315247

this guy stood almost still for around a minute whilst other people wandered in and out of the shot, so I guess tennis players are just moving too much especially at 4 minute exposures.

As I said here

this guy stood almost still for around a minute whilst other people wandered in and out of the shot, so I guess tennis players are just moving too much especially at 4 minute exposures.

Yes I reckon you have hit on the reason there Chris, the fact that the players weren't in one position for any length of time will have meant that any registering of their image on the negative will have been so brief that a fairly short extension of exposure afterwards will have meant it dissapearing.

You're quite useful to have around ( contrary to what others have said about you :exit: ;) :LOL::LOL:)

The MPP 4x5 actually came with a view finder which consists of a piece with a small hole in it that goes on the flash gun mount on top of the body and and a wire frame that goes on top of the front standard, -
View attachment 316883

it's not very good becuase if you move your eye off centre then you can get more in the frame and I obviosuly normally use the ground glass. I also usually use the pinhole with the front standard as close to the back as it will go but it wouldn't be too hard to make a wire frame of the right sort of size.
Having had another look at the Zero Image website, it seems they (reluctantly) supply a viewfinder for their cameras. I say reluctantly because of
We recieved many inquiries from our customers asking about how to frame the image and the available of a viewfinder. Before, we didn't deisgn any viewfinder for our camera as in my opinion, we take pinhole photo, we have to back to the basic, and I used to take pinhole images without the viewfinder.

It is human's ability that we can know what can be included in the frame if we willing to train up ourself. Just like some serious photographer who can know the exact exposure setting of f/stop and exposure time without the use of a light meter.

You can also train up yourself if you can pay more attention to the result of your frame and after a few period of time, you can become the expert without the need of a viewfinder. I can't tell you which viewfinder available on the market is accurate but I can tell you all they have limitation! Further, there is no need to bring such a heavy lens item when enjoy pinhole photography.

Happily they then go on to show that their viewfinder is pretty much just lines drawn on a piece of plastic, but the interesting thing is that they go on to say how far away you should hold it for a proper view
To use the viewfinder is easy, simply point it to the scene/object and put the viewfinder in front of your eye at a distance which is the same as the focal length of your camera.

Zero 135 and Zero 2000 = 25mm;
Zero 6 x 9 and Zero 612 = 40mm;
Zero 25B = 25mm; Zero 50B = 50mm; Zero 75B or 75D = 75mm.

Use only one of your eye to view through the viewfinder and try to locate the viewing eye at the middle of the window of the viewfinder. After the framing work is finished, locate your camera at the same posotion as the viewfinder. Then you can take the photo without worrying about the composition.

The caveat to all of this is that Zero Image quote the focal length as being the pinhole to film plane distance, rather than being directly comparable to a lens of that focal length in that format. The 25mm on my Zero 2000 actually has a field of view of 95.45 degrees in horizontal and vertical, which is almost equivalent to the 93.3 horizontal of a 17mm lens on 35mm (only 70.4 vertical), which explains why my framing with a 24mm lens has been well off the mark. :rolleyes: I don't know if this is any benefit to others, but thought it worthwhile posting in case.

That reminds me I haven't yet actually entered a photo in the WPPD website

Just had a look at the BIG version on Flickr. :eek: Memorable shot, mind. (y)

To think that this is how you will be remembered forever by your(p**s taking) friends on TP:wideyed::LOL::LOL:
Thanks Asha, that means a lot :ty:

Back