Worm Eating Warbler- environmental

I do like environmental portraits, for my taste I think there's a little too much surrounding space and the bird is a touch central. I think if you cropped slightly there's a good image there

I also made two other crops... I originally went with the tightest composition (I normally do).

_SGK6559-Edit.jpg

IMO, this last one doesn't have quite enough resolution remaining... there's very little detail visible.

_SGK6559-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

This is like another "how hard can you crop" scenarios... but it also shows how cropping reduces the DOField.

Last edited:
Hi Steven,

I prefer the hard crop (last image).

Would it help to run it through Gigapixel - pre-crop?

I prefer the first crop - to me it illustrates the bird's environment but the negative space doesn't distract

Sorry but too small imho. They look like they have been taken with a phone and could not get close enough. I know I prefer bird portraits but these seeem to ignore the bird and just show the environment/ branch. Sorry but just my opinion fwiw

Hi Steven,

I prefer the hard crop (last image).

Would it help to run it through Gigapixel - pre-crop?
Gigapixel could help, but pre or post wouldn't make much difference...

FWIW even the hardest crop shown is less than 100%... it's ~ 4.7 MP from a 46MP sensor downsampled to less than 1MP for posting in the forums. But the compression from 4.7MP to 0.8MP doesn't reduce the visible detail (actual resolution) much at all...

Sorry but too small imho. They look like they have been taken with a phone and could not get close enough. I know I prefer bird portraits but these seeem to ignore the bird and just show the environment/ branch. Sorry but just my opinion fwiw
No worries, it's all valid...
I tend to go with tigter portraits as well. The artsy images (attempts) are much more hit/miss (and opinion based).

Last edited:
Back