Worth 2 minutes of your time!

H'mm well I'm confused (not surprising)....after each shot does he take a copy of the photo to give prints to all of the crews or does he give them the glass plate or does he keep all 237 plates....if he is copying the plate image for a print with a digi camera that is naughty. :(

Well who knows as if he has organised the crews together on a nice sunny day, he might also take a digi shot and give them the jpg ;) or someone else would do it sorta like standing by the official photographer at a wedding :sneaky:

Last edited:
H'mm well I'm confused (not surprising)....after each shot does he take a copy of the photo to give prints to all of the crews or does he give them the glass plate or does he keep all 237 plates....if he is copying the plate image for a print with a digi camera that is naughty. :(

Unless there's some clever reversal processing going on, the wet collodion process produces a negative; and we were seeing a positive in a developing dish. I therrefore assume that the video didn't show the plate being developed, but rather a contact print from it.

Unless there's some clever reversal processing going on, the wet collodion process produces a negative; and we were seeing a positive in a developing dish. I therrefore assume that the video didn't show the plate being developed, but rather a contact print from it.

.......but Still just a personal hobby for him as the results have no historical value for the future unless it is the only shot of the crews....well I can't believe the crews wouldn't want a print or would have a friend to take a shot at the same time while they are all together.

Last edited:
Surely every picture, no matter what it's taken on, has historical value or what's the point of any of us taking photographs?

Well not if there are umpteen similar RECORD shots of the same subject...i.e. every one of the crews has a print...but could be useful in the future for a database of all the crews manning lifeboats around the British Isles in 2016.
Same as I don't bother taken shots of say Nelson's column as there probably millions of shots that have been taken by people around the world...Ok lightning striking it would be different but the column still looks the same, or to agree with your view it might be interesting to compare the wear on the stone figure for people in 200 years looking back. ;)

Last edited:
Surely every picture, no matter what it's taken on, has historical value or what's the point of any of us taking photographs?

For artistic expression, perhaps? Photography can be purely utilitarian and a matter of record keeping, but it doesn't have to be.

If I take a photo of my daughter I can look back on it 20 years. If I shoot a photograph of the Liverpool waterfront it's a reminder of what it looks like now. If I shoot someone's wedding that's a point in time. That's what I mean by historical value. I don't have to hang it in a museum to be historical.

If I take a photo of my daughter I can look back on it 20 years. If I shoot a photograph of the Liverpool waterfront it's a reminder of what it looks like now. If I shoot someone's wedding that's a point in time. That's what I mean by historical value. I don't have to hang it in a museum to be historical.

It's important to take record photos of things that change...the only historical value for a photo record of the crew that I can think of, that could be useful for the future.....would be how they dressed in 2016, but then there are millions of shots around now to show how we look and am sure many will survive for the future

Surely this is the one section on TP that should also appreciate the fact he's shot the image using traditional methods? I'm sure any number of people could have turned up and shot the same image on their iPhone but it wouldn't be any different from the hundred of other shots that probably exist of the same lifeboat crew?

Can't help think this is being a bit over-thought though!

Surely this is the one section on TP that should also appreciate the fact he's shot the image using traditional methods? I'm sure any number of people could have turned up and shot the same image on their iPhone but it wouldn't be any different from the hundred of other shots that probably exist of the same lifeboat crew?

Can't help think this is being a bit over-thought though!

Well I'm sure everyone appreciates his personal hobby (even if unusual) it's just having a view in what anyone else gets out of his shots. And I'm sure if anyone\or group have their photo taken, they would like a print at least of the occasion....well except shots of me. :eek:

I don't think this is just a personal hobby; this is a project, which acquires particular meaning because of its intent (Art!). One photographer, one antique camera, one antiquated process, one subject (in general terms), hundreds of particular subjects, time, travel. There's huge dedicated input, and you can betcha there's an exhibition coming out of it! And one I'd like to see, too.

Well it's certainly unique\different compared to someone reporting:- I've been around the Britsh Isles taking shots of all the crews with my digi camera ;)

Back