Worth an upgrade?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
As it is Christmas I've been browsing various sites to spend my pennies on upgrades.

I'm currently stuck on what to do, if anything, so I'm after some advice.

I currently have a Nikon D5100, mostly using a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II VC. I also have a cheap Nikon 55-200mm.

So far I've looked at new bodies: D5300 for a similar camera with new/better features, the D7100 for more of a step up or look at full frame.

Now this is where the advice comes in, is it worth upgrading the body? Worth looking at new lenses? Or just sticking!

I spend most of my time taking landscapes with the odd trip to the Zoo! There is little portraits and certainly not high speed action!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
D7100 isnt full frame. Personally i would sell your current camera and either get a secondhand d7000 or a grey d7100 for the better ergonomics better build etc but you will lose the flippy screen.
Or go the whole hogg and get a ff d610 but you will need new lenses as well.

Last edited:
Yup! Fair point. I'll edit my post, looked at too many things.

I'm not too fussed about the flipping screen, not used it as much as I thought I would. The one thing I don't like about the D5100 is hunting through menus to change ISO and stuff.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Tamron, the cheap 200mm is a bit poor though. Reach is reasonable most of the time but it's a bit slow!

Are you finding yourself limited by your camera body in any specific way that you can articulate?
If not, don't bother upgrading the body. Getting better lenses will do more to improve your image quality.

Are you finding yourself limited by your camera body in any specific way that you can articulate?
If not, don't bother upgrading the body. Getting better lenses will do more to improve your image quality.

Good advice....

I'm happy with the Tamron, the cheap 200mm is a bit poor though. Reach is reasonable most of the time but it's a bit slow!

:plus1:

If you current camera does everything you need why upgrade the body. You basically said the tamron very good and that your 55-200mm pretty rubbish, so personally I would get yourself a decent lens to replace that.

Thanks guys! What 55-200m would be worth looking at?

None really, you already have the best.

The next level up would be a Nikon 70-300VR or Tamron 70-300VC, both of which are very good but it depends on what you mean when you say the 55-200 is a bit slow. If you mean slow AF then either of these will be better, if you meant from an aperture point of view then you need to start looking at a 2nd hand 70-200 f/2.8 type lens.

None really, you already have the best.

The next level up would be a Nikon 70-300VR or Tamron 70-300VC, both of which are very good but it depends on what you mean when you say the 55-200 is a bit slow. If you mean slow AF then either of these will be better, if you meant from an aperture point of view then you need to start looking at a 2nd hand 70-200 f/2.8 type lens.

:agree::plus1:

Save your money. I went from d3100 to d7000 and there was pretty much zero improvement in IQ ( unless you print huge, which I never do ). Useability and access to menus is a different story but if I had my time again, i wouldn't have bothered.

If you do landscapes, get a sigma 10-20, zoos then 70-300 as Ned says

Depends what you want and are willing to spend. If 200mm all you require, then you should be looking at the 70-200mm f4 or the 70-200mm f2.8

I bought a D3000 as my first DSLR, then went for a D300s, I have to say if I could go back 4 years, I'd have spent the money on a few photography workshops. Anyway, happy shopping.

Cheers.

Last edited:
All you would need is the Tamron 70-300mm. If you read the blurb about the lens on the link, it explains the lettering, and yes the lens is compatible with you camera, but you can always ask the guys at mpb to confirm, they're very helpful.

You don't need the 10-20, the 17-50 a great lens, unless you really want to go uwa

Last edited:
One thing no one has mentioned is, when looking for a new lens make sure you get one with a built in focus motor as the camera body
doesn't have one

I'm kind of in the same position but I've got the d5200 but after lots of thinking and reading I've decided to go all out and move to FF with the d750 (so excited) My kit was a d5200 with Nikon 16-85 (walkabout) the amazing Tokina 11-16 2.8 (Landscapes) Will be forsale) and the Nikon 70-300vr

Two things

I'm Suprised no ones mentioned the Tokina for landscapes it's absolutely amazing and in many people's opinion better and shaper than the Sigma 10-20

I'd defiantly reccomend the Nikon 70-300 as I moved to this from the 55-200 and the 55-300 and although not world shattering it's the best of the 3

The big shame is the 70-300 is the only lens I can carry on to my new kit :(

Looking at the responses, I've had a quick dig around MBP and found these.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...es/sigma-10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-hsm--nikon-fit-3

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...0-300mm-f4-56-sp-di-vc-usd-lens---nikon-fit-1

Are these the lenses hinted at? I have to admit, I've never been great at understanding the letter to gauge whether the lens is suitable or not!
I think for now, although awesome, the 200mm 2.8s are a bit out of my league!

I wouldn't pay £209.00 for the MPB one when you can get them new for £239.00 and have the 5 year warranty in your name if bought from Amazon (not re-seller) or Wex. I have had this lens and the Nikon 55-300 & 70-300VR and I prefered the Tamron when using on a D7000 over the Nikons.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-70-300-4-5-6-Lens-Nikon/dp/B003YUBTIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419781339&sr=8-1&keywords=tamron 70-300 vc nikon

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-nikon-fit/p1520737

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay £209.00 for the MPB one when you can get them new for £239.00 and have the 5 year warranty in your name if bought from Amazon (not re-seller) or Wex. I have had this lens and the Nikon 55-300 & 70-300VR and I prefered the Tamron when using on a D7000 over the Nikons.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-70-300-4-5-6-Lens-Nikon/dp/B003YUBTIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419781339&sr=8-1&keywords=tamron 70-300 vc nikon

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-nikon-fit/p1520737

Thanks for those links! I hadn't even thought of new. The price difference makes no sense in buying second hand.

Back