Worth upgrading my 50mm 1.8D?

Edit My Images
No
My current lens setup is:

28mm 1.8G
50mm 1.8D
85mm 1.8G
105mm 2.8 VRII

I mainly shoot street photography, however I am getting into my landscapes.

Is it worth upgrading my D lens to a newer G? The 50mm focal range is probably my most used lens. The main thing I don't like about the lens is the bokeh compared to my other lenses and the noise from the lens isn't very stealthy!

Thanks.

My current lens setup is:

28mm 1.8G
50mm 1.8D
85mm 1.8G
105mm 2.8 VRII

I mainly shoot street photography, however I am getting into my landscapes.

Is it worth upgrading my D lens to a newer G? The 50mm focal range is probably my most used lens. The main thing I don't like about the lens is the bokeh compared to my other lenses and the noise from the lens isn't very stealthy!

Thanks.

Hi clickandshoot - Generally when shooting landscape you will try to get front to back sharpness, so quality of 'bokeh' generally isn't an issue.

I'd read that the 1.8G is sharper and has less colour fringing than the 1.4G. Anyone have any views on this?

I'd read that the 1.8G is sharper and has less colour fringing than the 1.4G. Anyone have any views on this?
Don't think there is much in it in terms of sharpness, certainly nothing worth worrying over. The 1.4G has noticeably more LOCA's than the f1.8G.

50G is the better lens, though not much in it. More glass, better edge sharpness at lower f/numbers, and slightly more rounded aperture. Main difference is the AF mech - ultrasonic SWM vs mechanical camera-drive.

Edit: sorry, that's 50/1.8 G vs D. Much the same applies to the 50/1.4 G, plus a couple more aperture blades and obviously the 0.7 stops faster aperture. Much more money though. Either way, any problems with CA, distortion and vignetting are easily sorted in post processing.

Last edited:
If you don't need the extra 1/2 stop or so of speed or the reduced DoF, there's little point in upgrading to the f/1.4 version and unless you need the marginally faster AF the AF-S version of the f/1.8, there's equally little point in the upgrade. I was advised in a shop not to upgrade my much older AF 50 f/1.8 to the latest f/1.4 AF-S version since in the salesman's opinion, my older lens was better in almost every way, especially given that I don't use large apertures and use a D700 or D800 so don't need the extra speed.

If you don't need the extra 1/2 stop or so of speed or the reduced DoF, there's little point in upgrading to the f/1.4 version and unless you need the marginally faster AF the AF-S version of the f/1.8, there's equally little point in the upgrade. I was advised in a shop not to upgrade my much older AF 50 f/1.8 to the latest f/1.4 AF-S version since in the salesman's opinion, my older lens was better in almost every way, especially given that I don't use large apertures and use a D700 or D800 so don't need the extra speed.

Afraid I'd have to disagree with the salesmen on this. The only trump card that the 1.8d offers is exceptional value for money. The 1.4g and 1.8g seem (to me at least) to be better in every other way. They're better built and a lot quieter but crucially both are sharp wide open. I was never that happy using my 1.8d wide open. The bokeh is much more attractive on the two g lenses as well.

In terms of which is better between the 1.4g and 1.8g. Well I keep seeing that test data suggests the 1.8 might be ahead but I think in reality the differences in terms of IQ are almost negligible. I have the 1.8g at the moment but have had a couple of 1.4's in the past and if money weren't a consideration I'd have one again over the 1.8 only because sometimes, an extra fraction of a stop is handy. The 1.8g is perhaps the easiest to recommend though in that it is both cheap enough and optically superb.

Just to throw some curve balls in, the 50mm 1.4D is also a very nice lens and I hear that the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is possibly the best of the lot.

Graham, my lens predates the D and G series lenses and is as far as I can tell of all metal construction (apart from the see through bits!). I'm not sure that much has changed within the f/1.8 50s in an optical sense apart from (perhaps) some more modern (lighter?) glasses being used.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will keep an eye on the market and see if I can get a good quality one for cheap, otherwise I will stick with my 1.8D for now.

TBH, I would stick with what you've got until a bargain upgrade crops up.

Back