Worth Valley Autumn Steam Gala

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Three photos from the K&WVR Autumn gala last weekend. Friday when I didn't have much time the sun was shining all day, Saturday and Sunday it was wet and orrible all day.

After recommendation from highly respected steam photographer Swiss Tony of this very parish that i try processing my shots with photomatix I have gone and tried it with numbers one and three. Would be good to know what you think.

1. Visiting Loco GWR class 28xx no 2807
_DSC0028_20111007_5948__over__under_tonemapped3.jpg

2. A 5 and a pheasant
_DSC0072_20111007_5992.jpg

3.Early morning freight
_DSC0098_20111008_6018__over__under_tonemapped.jpg

I really like the first the colours look really nice (y) the second one looks a bit too flat to me, the colours are a little harsh, I like the composition but I don't think that you've been helped with the lighting

I like the idea of the last but I think that it's in need of a bit of a vignette to give it a bit more of an older world field (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Hi Jonathan, really glad to see that you haven't overdone the HDR treatment like 99% of the population do. (y)
I find Photomatix is great for railway photography in bringing out lost shadow detail underneath the loco and rolling stock for instance, and on bad weather days it's invaluable.

My personal preference for the first image would be to darken the blacks a little more with levels.

Love the pheasant by the way! :LOL:

Last edited:
Nicely not overdone - just need a bit more contrast to add some punch. Good viewpoints

Thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.
One thing I was determined to do was not to go OTT on the hdr treatment so glad that has gone down ok.

Will take the suggestions on board and give the image another tweak. Although I guess I prefer the less contrast look as its something that has been mentioned before with my images and I always push the slider as far as I think I dare.

Back