Would a nifty fifty be good for taking pics of my girl and family?

Name
wendy
Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking at getting a nifty fifty for my nikon d40 been advised its a good bit of kit for taking pics of the kids any advice? and any links would be usefull on where to buy thanks wendy,x

It won't AF on the D40, so it wont be great for candids of the kids legging it around.

I've used mine on my D40 though and aside from lack of AF it produces some lovely images.

I'd go for the 35mm 1.8, not much more expensive.

Will autofocus and as it's a bit wider so will be better for shots with more than one or two people in.

Have one myself and it's great.

careful using a wide aperture if youre shooting groups of people as lenses like this have razor thin DoF!

Yes the 35mm will give you the same field of view as the 50mm would on a full frame plus you would get auto focus. The get auto focus on a 50mm you would need to opt for the AFS 50mm f1.4G or alternatively the Sigma 50mm

Apart from autofocus issues, I can vouch for the nifty fifty (or similar low cost, large aperture lens). It transformed my family photos (over the 350D kit lens) and finally gave me the look I was after :)

no because the canon EF 50mm f1.8 would not fit your camera :razz:

Been looking at getting a nifty fifty for my nikon d40 been advised its a good bit of kit for taking pics of the kids any advice? and any links would be usefull on where to buy thanks wendy,x

Back