Would any of these do for image editing?

Photo shop cc. I thought maybe I'd need way more storage space but I could always store on my external hard drive.

I wouldn't be over keen on the MacBook air. Whilst it would probably work the machine , although an i5, runs at 1.6 GHz . It would be slow especially with Photoshop.. The MacBookPro would be fine. I personally would prefer 16Gb of RAM, but I have an original Retina MBP with the same amount of RAM and it works fine. You may find that the 13" display somewhat limiting. I have used a 13" and whilst it is possible to work with Photoshop, the 15" option is far better. Not a great fan of the Touch Bar you might find a non touch bar version a bit cheaper. If you can visit an Apple Store and see what you prefer.

Microsoft Surface Book 13.5 Inch Ci7 8GB 256GB

Would this product be better? I know it's still a small screen but I thought maybe the i7 processor would give it more grunt.

Hi guys,

I've got the chance of one of these two for a decent price and was wondering if they would be decent for editing. I don't do loads of editing and I know the screens on these are smallish but wondered if they had the power or speed to cope with editing.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5283554

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5989346

Regards

Scott

That's like asking which car is decent for going from A to B. Any cars can get you from A to B. Therefore most computers can do the decent editing you seek. Both of those computers are fine for the kind of editing you want.

You should worry about handling (ie: which of those laptops feels too heavy for you, which feels too small for you, which of those do you find easier to open and close the top, how do you feel about the keyboard, etc), is the colour and style to your liking, is battery long enough for your needs, stuff like that.

In theory, the decent thing for editing is you, not the computer. Too many people sometimes open too many application software, listening to music, watching YouTube, and editing at the same time, hogging up too much of the memory, slowing down the editing. The decent thing is really just to open the software you want to work on and edit one or two file at a time.

You'll be fine with any of those. My advice is think about how you feel holding those laptops, think about which of those you can cope with, not which of those is good for Photoshop since most laptops nowadays can do Photoshop.

I'm using a late 2015 MBP 13" with 8gb ram to edit at the moment as my main machines are in storage. It does the job perfectly well. I looked at the MacBooks with the magic bar, its just a gimmick in my opinion and adds nothing to the machine.

If you do with a Mac try and get to an Apple shop instead of buying through Argos.

Cheers guys. With regards the does it feel right in your hands although this is a step I always consider with my camera's I'm not too fussed regarding laptops. In an ideal world I'd buy a desktop but I've just converted my spare room and have not really got the space for a desk. I was just looking for a good quick laptop that wouldn't slow down when opening photoshop. I bought a new laptop last year and made the mistake of looking for loads of storage as I thought this equated to performance and how wrong I was. It takes an age to open raw files and is painfully slow. It's an i3 machine with 8gb ram and 2tb hard drive. It's hopeless.

I did the same Scott, bought an I5 laptop with windows 10 thinking it would do what I wanted for work. I'm back typing this on my MacBook. Laptops are real hit and miss these days, specification doesn't seem to mean a lot.

I did the same Scott, bought an I5 laptop with windows 10 thinking it would do what I wanted for work. I'm back typing this on my MacBook. Laptops are real hit and miss these days, specification doesn't seem to mean a lot.

It's understanding what the specification means and what the bottlenecks are that makes the difference. Any computer still using a conventional hard drive is going to feel desperately slow compared to more recent devices using solid state drives, what ever their processor. And when it comes to processors, having 4 cores is better than having 2 cores as found in many mobile units, even when they are labelled i5.

I'd second this - I bought a HP Envy when it was on offer to replace an old HP Probook. The ergonomics on the Envy are absolutely shockingly bad! It's horrible for general use, but even worse if you want to do any typing

Back