Would appreciate proper C & C on these, Jazz Portraits.

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

These guys (PoeJazzi) invited me to shoot them doing their thing. Was wierd Jazz Rap kind of stuff, very strange. I got a total of 10 min or so to do these, all on the 14 to 24, D3. I stuck to relatively low F numbers to allow hand held.

I also took the D200 and got a few nifty fifty shots, but they are so so.

Anyway! I would appreciate hints, tips and general comments. First time I have been in a studio style setup, was fun. The lights changed colours a lot, not sure if I am supposed to show that or not? It might look like white balance issues if I do. I left a few with the coloured light for you to see.

2775402251_0fec7b30e1_o.jpg

2775409557_78de5e9a8b_o.jpg

2775409567_6592dae06e_o.jpg

2776280288_8165470c85_o.jpg

2776286302_928d8324e3_o.jpg

2775435167_26f393987d_o.jpg

2775439221_c551d6efc7_o.jpg

2775444205_a0698699f0_o.jpg

2776301352_8336b4982c_o.jpg

2775444205_a0698699f0_o.jpg

Thanks for honest C & C guys.

Gary.

Guys just to add, have spotted the "bright spots in the darkness" on my 2nd monitor. I will sort those.

I'm not overly taken with the huge space at the top of most of the images. I realise you've left it there deliberately, but for me it doesn't work. having said that, I am guilty of cropping some of my images too close, so what do I know ;)

Pretty impressive apart from that, but do tell me....what is "chunky format" :thinking: :LOL:

I dunno, first reaction is that they are a little too dark, may be half a stop off. Second thought is that none of them really catches your eye, what usually happen in a stage performance is that there is a spot light that point at them, catching that spot light too gives the image a certain hook to it and places the performer on stage. Where now they are just standing in the dark waving their arms, and i have looked at them all twice and none made me do a double take. I suppose the only one that slightly does work is No.2, because of that box in the corner, but his expression is not the best.

I'm not overly taken with the huge space at the top of most of the images. I realise you've left it there deliberately, but for me it doesn't work. having said that, I am guilty of cropping some of my images too close, so what do I know ;)

Pretty impressive apart from that, but do tell me....what is "chunky format" :thinking: :LOL:

Thanks I wasn't sure about the space, I tried cropping but I think I left too little on the sides to allow them to work. I would appreciate your own take on the crops? I realise the images would be small but if your bored and have time, I would love it.

Chunky Format? Lost me!! :thinking:

I dunno, first reaction is that they are a little too dark, may be half a stop off. Second thought is that none of them really catches your eye, what usually happen in a stage performance is that there is a spot light that point at them, catching that spot light too gives the image a certain hook to it and places the performer on stage. Where now they are just standing in the dark waving their arms, and i have looked at them all twice and none made me do a double take. I suppose the only one that slightly does work is No.2, because of that box in the corner, but his expression is not the best.

Cheers Raymond, would love more info on catching the spotlight so to speak. The room was tiny, and they had thick black curtains all around. There was one light shining on them which kept changing colours, any more info appreciated.

I really do like the isolation you've achieved for most of the performers - the single figure surrounded by black is very effective for me!

However they do look a little underexposed on this monitor (especially 5 & 6)

1 and 7 are my faves as the individuals seem to stand out more (brighter?)

Are 8 & 10 the same shot ?

Well done on getting the shoot! Have the performers seen these yet?

Hi dark star, thanks for all the comments. I will try and play with the exposure some more, and 8 & 10, not the first time I have done that :D

Not seen them yet mate,

Gary.

Thanks I wasn't sure about the space, I tried cropping but I think I left too little on the sides to allow them to work. I would appreciate your own take on the crops? I realise the images would be small but if your bored and have time, I would love it.

Chunky Format? Lost me!! :thinking:

You might be right, the sides are a wee bit close, but I still think it's possible. I'll run them through Lightroom and see what comes out...

Chunky format....the exif says "Planar Configuration - Chunky Format" :LOL:

Cheers Raymond, would love more info on catching the spotlight so to speak. The room was tiny, and they had thick black curtains all around. There was one light shining on them which kept changing colours, any more info appreciated.

I suppose sometimes you might need a really wide angle, and actually some smoke would've helped too as the spot light would have lit the smoke in the air but now with the smoking ban you are not going to get that.

Next time try going slightly behind him and may be catch the silhouette too.

I suppose sometimes you might need a really wide angle, and actually some smoke would've helped too as the spot light would have lit the smoke in the air but now with the smoking ban you are not going to get that.

Next time try going slightly behind him and may be catch the silhouette too.

Ah good idea, and damn I didnt try one!!

I might post the 50mm shots tomorrow for some further C & C.

G.

I like them Gary, mind you, I like dark shots. I think closer crops would be cool, but they are much better than I could do! I guess for these type of shots you could do with a couple of flashes and a trigger?

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. I take to responsibility for the less money in your wallet, if this was to happen :LOL:

Last edited:
I like them Gary, mind you, I like dark shots. I think closer crops would be cool, but they are much better than I could do! I guess for these type of shots you could do with a couple of flashes and a trigger?

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. I take to responsibility for the less money in your wallet, if this was to happen :LOL:

They told me no flash, although Michael who came brought his and got a few. Anyway, flash and triggers? I wouldnt have a clue :D

You might be right, the sides are a wee bit close, but I still think it's possible. I'll run them through Lightroom and see what comes out...

Chunky format....the exif says "Planar Configuration - Chunky Format" :LOL:

Wait a minute, the backgrounds black, so easy to add false space.

:LOL:

These are just quick adjustments, the files were a bit wee to do any real tampering with...

2775538775_d58901244a_o.jpg

2775539643_e873295949_o.jpg

2776394024_2706eb4eef_o.jpg

2776396240_10a46a062c_o.jpg

2776398374_d2916cbbd2_o.jpg

Last edited:
These are just quick adjustments, the files were a bit wee to do any real tampering with...

2775538775_d58901244a_o.jpg

2775539643_e873295949_o.jpg

2776394024_2706eb4eef_o.jpg

2776396240_10a46a062c_o.jpg

2776398374_d2916cbbd2_o.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time, I will have a play with these again tomorrow and take everyones comments on board. This place is amazing.

Gary.

I think they might lend themselves to either mono or a desaturated look, especially number 6, which I couldn't do anything with due to the file size/type, but I think the original raw should yield a good result.

Well, I like them as is, although nos 1 - 6 may have a limited appeal because they are very low key with lots of black - although that may be extremely useful for publicity uses - eg as a poster where they want to add a lot of text.

Obviously nos. 7 - 10 have more light and are framed tighter and so may have a more immediate appeal.

But you've shot them all with a consistent style and its your take on their performance. There's nothing wrong with any of the photos. This is an excellent example of a series of shots that will elicit subjective responses (as it already has) rather than objective ones.

Its your work - its great - if the performers don't like them, then that's because they had a different style in mind.

And, I've asked you before - will you please change that sodding avatar ;)

I really like the composition on the first few Gary, really expresses the loneliness of the solo, (or at least looks like it), artist.

It would be interesting to see the first few as B+W converts, particularly the ones with the coloured lighting, which does detract slightly in my view.

I think no. 2 is your best shot here, don't crop it!

Overall, a set to be very proud with, excellent work.

Last edited:
I really like the composition on the first few Gary, really expresses the loneliness of the solo, (or at least looks like it), artist.

It would be interesting to see the first few as B+W converts, particularly the ones with the coloured lighting, which does detract slightly in my view.

I think no. 2 is your best shot here, don't crop it!

Overall, a set to be very proud with, excellent work.

Thanks guys,

These guys were all solo, even though a group :wacky:

I have made cropped brighter versions already as alternatives, will post them shortly.

Thanks everyone else for the comments.

Gary.

Some alternative crops, and numbers 13 to 19 have been brightened.

2775705447_40657d62f3_o.jpg

2776568606_1948999e27_o.jpg

2775726221_01fc2e433b_o.jpg

2776585602_9ea0af3308_o.jpg

2775734129_a62197862e_o.jpg

2775741939_80e5b3f1e8_o.jpg

2776602758_8ac9d17920_o.jpg

2775751335_d7e15318ab_o.jpg

2776612310_b008712b47_o.jpg

Again any C & C appreciated.

Gary.

I think for me, this is one of the weakest sets you've posted. Too dark, empty, pretty much what others have said before.

#6 I think would work if it was about 4 times bigger in the frame.

#2 is the most interesting composition and I like the fact the guy almost looks like a lilliputian to me is kinda cool. He just doesnt look like a very interesting guy though, and the facial expression is odd.

MBV's point about useful for publicity/posters is a very good point though, and if that was the brief, I think these shots would be great. As images on their own, hang on your wall, print in an a4 mag, I think they're less successful.

I think for me, this is one of the weakest sets you've posted. Too dark, empty, pretty much what others have said before.

#6 I think would work if it was about 4 times bigger in the frame.

#2 is the most interesting composition and I like the fact the guy almost looks like a lilliputian to me is kinda cool. He just doesnt look like a very interesting guy though, and the facial expression is odd.

MBV's point about useful for publicity/posters is a very good point though, and if that was the brief, I think these shots would be great. As images on their own, hang on your wall, print in an a4 mag, I think they're less successful.

Cheers for your honesty mate. Have redone them to put emphasis on the characters. No real brief execpt come along, and take a few photos of us "doing our thing". Room was pitch black except for the spotlight on them, and I was previously told no flash. And we had 10 to 15 min, although not making excuses. Any advice is helpful, and I only did it for the experience so going forward I might nail this type of shoot.

I am trying to create a darkened studio room at home for practise, looking forward to it :D

Gary.

I liked the originals matey... but these new crops are great! Especially like the ones with black space to the right (13, 17, 19). Very atmospheric.

Flashy

I concur... unlucky #13 (and #17) work really well for me :)

I concur... unlucky #13 (and #17) work really well for me :)

Ta mate, I have several 50mm portraits too. I really do value your honesty though, super important as it drives us forward and helps us improve massively. It makes us think about one extra thing before we hit the shutter.

Thanks,

Gary.

The first set look as though you focussed on the faces with the centre spot and didn't re-frame. For that reason they lose interest for me, seen as a whole.

The first set look as though you focussed on the faces with the centre spot and didn't re-frame. For that reason they lose interest for me, seen as a whole.

Cheers Photon,

Will have a much better think about framing next time I try something like this. Thanks all for the tips.

Gary.

Back