Would direct positive paper fit on a 120 reel ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Having taken this photo of a old battered passport photo 40mm x50mm with an old low tech ( at the time it was made) smart phone , ( I've had to down grade it to post on here)m2.jpg

This got me thinking would you be able to fit direct positive paper ( I have never handled any and I'm guessing it is too thick to bend ) onto a 120 reel in order to give you more than one shot. This would allow me to use film but remove the need for some of the equipment . I realize quality would be lost even if you could do this ( and I'm guessing not other wise it would have already be done )

Just a thought !

I'm going to have to extrapolate from darkroom to inkjet paper on this. Direct positive paper is about the same as a reasonably heavy inkjet paper - say 300 gsm or so. In principle, if you can cut it down under a red safelight (Ilford's is orthochromatic) then it could be possible to get a strip (assuming you use 10x8 paper) of about 4 frames of 6x6 (less 3 frames unless you load in the dark; and you could affix a leader and trailer to get the full 4 frames).

That leaves the question of bending. Given the size of a 120 spool, I would be very surprised if the emulsion (rather than the paper) didn't crack, but I could be surprised on this.

The results sound as if they would be fully Lomo aesthetic...

Last edited:
If only 4 frames at once it might be worth padding both the spools with old 120 backing paper to reduce the amount of bending

Thanks Stephen and Chris , more really a theoretical question. I've just used my Holga and a 1931 Kodak Brownie and forgot how much I enjoy the experience, I haven't used film for sometime as I always end up with the question what is the point in using film with it's expense when I convert to a Digital file anyway. I guess the bigger positive photo the Brownie would produce 9x6 cm may be interesting for one time shots.

If you're happy with single exposures, you could use direct positive paper in a pinhole camera, or possibly (with a little more trouble measuring the lens/paper separation) construct a camera to hold the paper using a meniscus lens from a non functional camera.

Thanks Stephen and Chris , more really a theoretical question. I've just used my Holga and a 1931 Kodak Brownie and forgot how much I enjoy the experience, I haven't used film for sometime as I always end up with the question what is the point in using film with it's expense when I convert to a Digital file anyway. I guess the bigger positive photo the Brownie would produce 9x6 cm may be interesting for one time shots.

If you scan at a sufficient resolution and quality then the characteristics of the film, including the grain, will be present. Sure, if you zoom in enough it will become pixelated, but mostly you’re not going to be doing that.

A good digital scan of a film image will look like a film image in the same way that a good digital scan of, for example, the Mona Lisa will look like a painting, with brush strokes etc. visible (although not the physical texture).

If you scan at a sufficient resolution and quality then the characteristics of the film, including the grain, will be present. Sure, if you zoom in enough it will become pixelated, but mostly you’re not going to be doing that.

A good digital scan of a film image will look like a film image in the same way that a good digital scan of, for example, the Mona Lisa will look like a painting, with brush strokes etc. visible (although not the physical texture).
:plus1:

Back