B&W Would have been rude not to...

It's turned out well for a grab shot.
Good lighting and rim light too! Separation from the background and the pic sets the scene nicely.

Did you get her phone number? :)

And to think people complain that street photographers get an unfair reputation as creepy weirdos.
Three replies in and the sleaze to critique ratio isn't looking glorious.

I'm sorry but my comment was said in the mind set of a cracking image of a lovely lady With meticulous makeup. ;)

I have a daughter around her age & to imply I'm a sleaze :stop:

Last edited:
Well caught Nick, shame the teapot spout was so close to the edge, but hey ho a grab shot is a grab shot

Les ;)

Thanks for the positive comments. No sleaze intended, just thought she had a very classy look which would convert well to b&w! Hopefully I achieved this.

I like it. Nice conversion, sharp subject and as already mentioned great separation. Possible blown highlights on her shoulders, particularly her left, but doesn't take away from a lovely candid, stranger portrait.

Well caught Nick, shame the teapot spout was so close to the edge, but hey ho a grab shot is a grab shot

Les ;)
Thanks Lez, sadly there was a fugly bag just left of the teapot and was doing my best to keep it out of the shot :)

The lighting looks as good as a studio set-up. I don't think it could have been improved.
As said above, the weakest bit is the teapot! ...and maybe the two dot highlights just above the spout.

I'm looking forward to getting some candids at the Edinburgh Fringe when it starts in a few weeks.
Luckily, everyone expects to get their pic taken so there are no problems with candids.

Run them by Ghoti first :D

I think @ghoti has a point. Evidently thats not a popular viewpoint round here. Don't get me wrong, as a photo its great. I think you've captured her really well. There is a good level of interest too.

But (and what I suspect he's refering) to are comments like these

It would not only have been rude,but bordering on criminal to not have taken the picture :naughty:

or this

I would say you hit the jackpot

which don't add any critique, but do refer to the young lady in the photo without adding anything. That said its far from the worst on here

:stop:mad:boyfalldown

Please see post 6 and I will leave it at that.

In future when I have nothing to say as I think the image is spot on, is just give :plus1: or will that be taken the wrong way as well ;)

Well! sort of side tracked, but my reason for the shot was I thought she had a very classy look and did stand out of the crowd. But the glasses and make up was what drew me to take the shot as I thought it would make a good conversion. Thank you for all the positive comments.

Thanks Lez, sadly there was a fugly bag just left of the teapot and was doing my best to keep it out of the shot :)

Lifes never simple Nick, I think you made the best of that shot mate

Les

And to think people complain that street photographers get an unfair reputation as creepy weirdos.
Three replies in and the sleaze to critique ratio isn't looking glorious.

Phwooor look at that comment by Ghoti :D (by the way I agree).

Teapot is interesting, sets the scene, but I think would also work as a head and shoulder crop as it would draw more attention to the reflection in the glasses.

Every time this comes into the 'thumbnail banner' I have to have another look at it. (You probably have an exaggerated view count now)

This shot has a 'magnetic' quality to it that gets me every time!

Every time this comes into the 'thumbnail banner' I have to have another look at it. (You probably have an exaggerated view count now)

This shot has a 'magnetic' quality to it that gets me every time!
Yep! :)

I'm looking forward to getting some candids at the Edinburgh Fringe when it starts in a few weeks.
Luckily, everyone expects to get their pic taken so there are no problems with candids.

Starts on the 7th, less than a week!

Back