Would someone please help with this image?

GHP

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Attached is an image of my daughter, taken 8 years ago, and I would like to ask for some help to improve it.
I am very new to Photoshop, and very quickly get bogged down when trying to make adjustments etc.to images. I am learning though.(y)
My problem is that this image has a very specific memory for us, and it is a very dear image to us.
Normally I would just continue to struggle through until I was happy, but ideally I need a good copy of this image today, to be printed.
I am having a really hard time trying to lighten the area under the peak of the baseball cap, and generally trying to make it "pop".
The original raw file (taken on Nikon D70) is on the Flickr link, and I would be very very grateful if one of you clever PS gurus could improve it for me.
I know this is a long shot, and a bit of an ask, but if anyone could help it would make our day.
If anyone wants to download the original and email me the finished file, I will give my email via PM.
Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Gary.

_DSC0138.jpg by scubacrazy, on Flickr

Hi Gary,

Pleased to help. I have re-worked the image with some degree of success. PM your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Thank you very much Bob, that's a good improvement.
I am very grateful.
Gary.

Thank you very much Bob, that's a good improvement.
I am very grateful.
Gary.

???????????????????????????

???????????????????????????

Sorry, Yellowbelly had a go and emailed it to me:
Here is the edit.
6799983550_5b394efdbe_oa.jpg

If anyone else wants a go, feel free!!

Just a very very quick shadow highlight in photoshop and a bit of pop..

girls.jpg

Heres my edit

6799983550_6b7cd0908e_b-1.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for your kind help.
If anyone wants to have a go with the raw file, it can be found by going to the flickr link, view all sizes, and the original there is the raw file.
We really want to be able to order a large print of this image if it is possible.
I really appreciate all your help, this really means a lot to us.

garryknight said:
The Flickr link leads to a JPEG. To get the best results you'd have to put the raw NEF file in a public folder on Dropbox, or somewhere we can download it from.

The nef file is there too. If you ick on the image and then click on view all sizes, the original raw file is there. It should be downloadable as far as I know.

garryknight said:
If you mean the Original version under All Sizes, that's a JPEG. Flickr just doesn't do raw files.

Ahh. In that case I don't know how to put a raw file up for editing. Any advice?

You could sign up for a Dropbox account for sharing files with others. Then upload the file to your Public folder, right-click it and choose 'Copy public link'. You can then paste the link in a post here.

Dropbox is a great place for backing up important things offline and for sharing photos and other files with friends and family.

Thanks for that Garry. I will do that later tonight. I need to get this printed before next Thursday. Very grateful.

You will probably get some better edits than this but I thought I would simply edit it in View NX2 which is the free Nikon editor, rather than Capture NX2 which I normally use, to see what it could do. I simply applied some D lighting (40) to lighten the shadows and some contrast (14).
_DSC0138.jpg

Thanks for that, Kev.
I think maybe I try doing too much to an image in Elements or Lightroom.
This thread is becoming interesting to show what can be achieved using different programmes/techniques.
Maybe I should look for a simpler approach.
Any-one else for a different method?

06283f4e.jpg

Another for your growing collection! This was done in Elements 9 and needed very little. Main adjustment was a big lump of Fill Light, switching the Calibration to Landscape and getting rid of some of the luminance noise. All done in RAW. Then, just a bit of sharpening - 75% Hard Light blend on a high pass filter.
(Shout if that's a bit Chinese :thinking:)

My problem when I first started was doing too much. If a bit of contrast was a good thing then even more contrast must be better :D

What I like about View NX2 & Capture NX2 is that they can read all the camera data which is saved in the raw file so they will apply the sharpening, contrast, saturation etc. which was set in the camera when they open the raw file but you still have the option to change what you like without affecting image quality, so it is a very good starting point. Plus the fact that View NX2 is free!
Other editors have a "guess" at what default settings to apply and I find it easier to overdo the editing with those.
It will be interesting to see what other people do.

Back