Would you buy a used 1D Mark III?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have seen a used 1D Mark III for sale and having asked a few questions about it, it just so happens to be one of the serial numbers that MIGHT be affected by the Sub Mirror AF problem although the seller says it has been fine and had no issues, so I have a few questions and wondered if anyone could help.

1. Would you buy a used 1D Mark III ( I already own a 1D Mark II which would have to go to provide some funds for the Mark II)

2. If I bought it would I be able to send it back for the recall on the Sub Mirror problem or does it have to be the original owner who can provide the receipt.

3. I would eventually like to have a Canon 300 F2.8 IS, but the 1D Mark II buy would delay that for a good while, if it was you would you buy the body or wait and buy the lens to be used on my 1D Mark II.

Thoughts/comments/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

1. Why not? No different from any other camera and if its in good condition and been cared for, no reason not to

2. No idea on this one, not an owner. Could the person you buy it off not provide the reciept though for you?

3. Only you can answer this - do you find you struggle with what you're using at the moment? Would the benefits of the lens outweigh the benefits of the body? What will you be using the body/lens for mostly?

Stick with the MKII and get the 300 2.8!! It's what I would do!

Unless the MKIII really has some useful features for you, then the MKII is still one of the best cameras available :)

mkIII is a lot better than the mkII for low light or night photogrpahy

I wouldnt spend that much money on a used one if I didnt know who was selling it... seller not an existing contact... strangely i was offered such a beast by a fellow photographer this last week.. had he offered it me last month I would ahve snapped his hand off..

Hi Mike,

I also have a 1D Mark II N and an inbound 300mm 2.8 I.S (Soon TM)

Personally I have no doubt that the 1D III is better than the 1D II / N but I am unsure if I could justify spending £1,000 on the upgrade (Assuming you get say £1,000 for the 1D II)

I had the option of a used but good nick 1D II N from Filter Fantastic over the phone for £1200 and opted for that.

I would not mind buying a camera with say a 7 day returns policy or the like offered by MPB and filter fantastic (Plus the get atleast some form of warranty with MPB and a smaller one with Filter fantastic that you would not purchasing from a person.

Canon probably would not service the camera unless you had an invoice so make sure you get one! Having said that when my 40D dust cleaning session went belly up and I smeared oil all over the sensor I thought since my 40D was from Digital Rev I was screwed.

But Canon serviced it with no issue.

I would say unless you are saving alot of cash save it up towards the 300mm 2.8 I.S then who knows the 1D III may have come down in price.

Hope the above waffle helps :D

Murray

P.S Are you going to Leuchars this year Mike?

Back