would you buy lens with coating marks..

I would/have bought a lens with a less than perfect front optic, it depends how much/what & where the damage is.
Rear element marks seem to show up much more, I'd give them a miss.
M/F lens defects are no different to 35mm, they show up or don't, in just the same way.
I had an M/F 50 with a couple of dots & scratches in the coating of the front element, I couldn't make them visible in photo's, or at least I couldn't separate them from dust, definately couldn't see the scratches.
Peeps will say you can't see them in images on Fleabay, but you don't know till you try it.
I was lucky, I did buy it on the proviso it was less than perfect but didn't show up in images, and it turned out to be true.

344cxh5.jpg

2w3e4u9.jpg

cheers for the information:), the close up pics always seem to make things look alot worse as well which is hard to gauge without seeing lens in front of you...

Yeah, need someone with a lot more experience to be able to say with any certainty from a photograph, whether marks will be obvious in photo's.
Also you can't tell whether the dots are dust on the surface, dust in the lens or actually marks in the coating without having it in your hands.
I suppose you just have to take a sellers word for it :shrug:

*edit* don't buy anything with fungus either :puke:

oi97hu.jpg

Back