Would you choose any camera over your phone?

Edit My Images
No
Hi, got brought a camera in 2013 never used it, not once! Terrible I know. It's a ...

Canon ixus 140 https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_ixus_140_review/specifications

I also have my newish phone Huawei mate 20 lite 2018. https://camerajabber.com/huawei-mate-20-lite-camera-review/

I'm doing a cruise around Norway in just over a month's time, September also being a great time to see the northern lights, fjords plus many waterfalls.

Question is which one would you focus on using to take pictures? Is the camera although "old" still going to take a better quality picture than my new phone? I know it's alot down to the person, lighting a steady hand but if you had to use one of the above which one would you obt for please?

Also I have a month to practice, play around with both.

Thank you for taking the time

Which are you more likely to carry?

For most on here as photography enthusiast we are more likely to be willing to take and carry a camera and various lenses. For someone who hasn’t picked up a camera in 6 years take the one you will use. For many people that would be a phone. A modern phone camera versus a 2013 compact camera there probably won’t be much in it. I would probably say the phone will edge it.

I've seen some excellent images from phones but personally i've never been able to get one myself lol

I've seen some excellent images from phones but personally i've never been able to get one myself lol

Is that just from your phone or does that include your cameras.:whistle::whistle::):) "Only Joking Of Course"

George.

I'd use the phone out of those two as they both use 1/2.3in sensors but the phone has a much newer sensor and they usually do a better job than cameras in their automatic output. The phone also has the advantage of speed and convenience as you can straight away share photos with others although it lacks image stabilisation which would be the main downside.

OK, had a quick look at the spec you linked for the camera.

Advantages of the camera: it has an 8X optical zoom, which should help if you want pictures of distant stuff, and it's likely to be easier to change settings quickly because of having dedicated buttons etc as controls. I would use this when the light is bright.

Advantage of the phone: Image quality is likely to be higher when light levels drop because it has a 6 year newer sensor design and better noise reduction software.

So I'd take both, use the camera for photographing stuff that's a bit further away, use the phone for photos after the sun goes down esp. any northern lights shots.

Why does everybody assume everyone has a phone? I don't for one. Nothing worse than hearing tinny voices from them and the click click click of using the keys.

Most phones are key-less these days, everything is done using touch screen.

I rarely ever use my phone for photos, give me a cheap as you like compact over a phone for that purpose any day. Even the higher end up to date phone cameras are a bit cack once you bump the ISO - the NR is overly aggressive and smudges rather than cleans up. Even the most basic compact for about £80 will have a much larger sensor.

Most phones are key-less these days, everything is done using touch screen.

I rarely ever use my phone for photos, give me a cheap as you like compact over a phone for that purpose any day. Even the higher end up to date phone cameras are a bit cack once you bump the ISO - the NR is overly aggressive and smudges rather than cleans up. Even the most basic compact for about £80 will have a much larger sensor.
I've got a Samsung 10 and I would put it's camera up against any £80 compact, irrespective of sensor size.

Why does everybody assume everyone has a phone? I don't for one.

Don't have a phone either.

The thread is about the OP asking about whether they would be better using THEIR compact camera (Canon ixus 140) or THEIR phone (Huawei mate 20 lite 2018). Whether others have a phone or not or a different camera that would be better is irrelevant for this thread. It wouldn’t help the OP choose between what they have available for the trip.

Last edited:
Personally I would take both as the camera isn’t huge and using it on the trip may spark an interest in photography.

One thing we haven’t touched on is photography the northern lights will be in low light so some kind of camera support will be needed.

I've got a Samsung 10 and I would put it's camera up against any £80 compact, irrespective of sensor size.

Samsung have some of the better cameras on their phones I would say, even the old S6 I had was decent - but only in already good lighting. They're just not good when you have to push the ISO, even 400 can look pretty bad. But even if it does beat a cheap compact, I'd still prefer the better ergonomics of a compact, with a proper shutter button. I hate the feel of a phone for taking pictures, it's one reason I rarely use it - well, that and the camera on my Xiaomi Redmi note 3 is poor - even in good light

Last edited:
The thread is about the OP asking about whether they would be better using THEIR compact camera (Canon ixus 140) or THEIR phone (Huawei mate 20 lite 2018). Whether others have a phone or not or a different camera that would be better is irrelevant for this thread. It wouldn’t help the OP choose between what they have available for the trip.
Very sorry. Smacked my own hand and won't post again.

Samsung have some of the better cameras on their phones I would say, even the old S6 I had was decent - but only in already good lighting. They're just not good when you have to push the ISO, even 400 can look pretty bad. But even if it does beat a cheap compact, I'd still prefer the better ergonomics of a compact, with a proper shutter button. I hate the feel of a phone for taking pictures, it's one reason I rarely use it - well, that and the camera on my Xiaomi Redmi note 3 is poor - even in good light

I agree with all this. My go to, in pocket camera is a tz90. My real point was that I dont think you can pick up an equivalent to the s10 for £80.

Take both, BUT the memories within the images will last far longer than the quality of the image. I've got faded photos from the 60's that still make me smile.

Very true. Most pics aren't masterpieces and aren't meant to be. Many are an " aid memoir " equally valid in my opinion.
On holiday I take many quick snaps of the moment, while not influencing (or spoiling) the moment. Only snaps, but thats what they are intended to be. Its a valuable and much underestimated branch of photography.

I have an appalling phone with an even worse camera in it. I have a choice of good to excellent cameras.
In your situation there are advantages in both options... so both.

Phone is used for the majority of photos simply due to convenience whether it be out and about or to upload directly onto a forum or online.

I only take my DSLR when I specifically want to get milestone photos, something to put up on the wall or because I know my phone's AF won't be capable.

OK, had a quick look at the spec you linked for the camera.

Advantages of the camera: it has an 8X optical zoom, which should help if you want pictures of distant stuff, and it's likely to be easier to change settings quickly because of having dedicated buttons etc as controls. I would use this when the light is bright.

Advantage of the phone: Image quality is likely to be higher when light levels drop because it has a 6 year newer sensor design and better noise reduction software.

So I'd take both, use the camera for photographing stuff that's a bit further away, use the phone for photos after the sun goes down esp. any northern lights shots.
I agree with Ancient Mariner. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Shoot to their advantages. The Canon is very small. It would be nothing to carry it with you all the time in a pocket or belt case. So why not keep both handy?

This my take if you are happy with the results from your phone then use that. Why learn the old camera you gave never used.

This my take if you are happy with the results from your phone then use that.
This is true. I'd extend that to say "use what you want and ignore the people who wish to impose their opinions on you".

If the camera is a few years old and the phone new the phone may have a better camera. Tech has moved on a lot in three years (I don't know either in your case) that said I'd take the camera probably. It's easier to hold probably has a proper zoom as opposed to a digital zoom and I'd bet the batteries last longer as well.
I'd guess and say most would take both, a compact isn't heavy.

This is true. I'd extend that to say "use what you want and ignore the people who wish to impose their opinions on you".

It's not imposing opinion if OP has actually asked for opinion ;) Otherwise I agree, use whatever you are more comfortable with. In this case though, it barely costs any additional weight to have both in your bag.

Smartphones are useful. I have access to email and other messengers, a library, a GPS route finder, a translator, a fitness tracker. It's not necessary to become a zombie.

Smartphones are useful. I have access to email and other messengers, a library, a GPS route finder, a translator, a fitness tracker. It's not necessary to become a zombie.

I use mine as a message service on the go, and to ring the odd taxi, never use it at home - bar as an actual phone, and I don't panic when I leave it behind like I've seen others do. Sadly my kids are already at that stage but it's impossible to avoid, they spend more time on there with their friends than in person.

The multi shot feature on my Sony phone is also handy where I can then quickly scan through the burst and select the shot or shots which I want. Saves you missing a lot of shots. I'm sure other phones have similar.

I prefer cameras to camera phones but the newer ones have very good image quality and do very well for street photography in a bind.

I use the "Camera" on my phone to read labels when I forget my reading glasses. If I want a picture I use a camera.

I use the "Camera" on my phone to read labels when I forget my reading glasses. If I want a picture I use a camera.

Handy for reading the numbers on a sim card as well and sometimes part numbers on small items.

Handy for reading the numbers on a sim card as well and sometimes part numbers on small items.

I was thinking more on checking the Price per Litre on beer and spirits ;)

Back