Beginner Would you crop this or centre the subject?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
This is probably my sharpest image over my first three days with the bridge camera. I have edited it to really enhance it.
It was about 5 yards away in the garden, I didn't want to lift the camera to eye level and spook it, so purely by accident I shot the bird to the right of centre.
I like it the way it is, but I don't have experience in photo presentation, so would you crop it or centre the subject?

Mottled bird.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Keith

I might do this ...

Flip it, just because they say people and animals are best looking left to right. But you may not want to do that as it's your familiar territory.

There are unwanted, distracting lines at the top so crop them out. And even it up, with the tail pointing into the corner of the frame by cropping behind. The subject is now even more off-centre, which is never a bad thing.

AM-JKLU4GFENXUWxLwX9EFUoV--66_HBz_hFFC5bYSeWhdX6fJdfLoq32qLcjaiKLwalHZbAiWNcnamgn4Ikbqo55mTdpKygqjgcobsP7ak8anSMvEgqmcRw1suXw412_a2BQDfeagFqEqM1yyk0TQTVh-UnCw=w960-h599-no

Hi Keith

I might do this ...

Flip it, just because they say people and animals are best looking left to right. But you may not want to do that as it's your familiar territory.

There are unwanted, distracting lines at the top so crop them out. And even it up, with the tail pointing into the corner of the frame by cropping behind. The subject is now even more off-centre, which is never a bad thing.

AM-JKLU4GFENXUWxLwX9EFUoV--66_HBz_hFFC5bYSeWhdX6fJdfLoq32qLcjaiKLwalHZbAiWNcnamgn4Ikbqo55mTdpKygqjgcobsP7ak8anSMvEgqmcRw1suXw412_a2BQDfeagFqEqM1yyk0TQTVh-UnCw=w960-h599-no
That's very helpful, and I can see what you're saying, because that looks better to me too. Thank you for the advice..

Personally I wouldn't flip it as I'd know I'd done it and it would forever trigger the ocd me when I saw it :D

Other than that I suppose there are things you could do.

You could crop it so the bird is positioned where you want it but I sometimes think a smack in the centre subject can look a bit too... oh I don't know, but an off centre subject can look just a bit more interesting. Maybe.

Another thing you could do is soften and / or blur and / or reduce the contrast and / or saturation of the background a bit in the processing package of your choice, if you want.

I think if it was me I'd just leave it as it is :D

Personally I wouldn't flip it as I'd know I'd done it and it would forever trigger the ocd me when I saw it :D

Other than that I suppose there are things you could do.

You could crop it so the bird is positioned where you want it but I sometimes think a smack in the centre subject can look a bit too... oh I don't know, but an off centre subject can look just a bit more interesting. Maybe.

Another thing you could do is soften and / or blur and / or reduce the contrast and / or saturation of the background a bit in the processing package of your choice, if you want.

I think if it was me I'd just leave it as it is :D

My OCD is a demon when I'm editing !

Sometimes less is more and there are times when we need to step away from the keyboard.

Mottled bird.JPG

On second thoughts. Maybe I should have stopped a few minutes ago? :D

Last edited:
Wait, what? What kinda sorcery is that:eek:
My brain is confused:D, i didnt know flipping an image has such an impact

It's my attempt at Earth humor.

Sorry Marino, and sorry Keith :D

Back