Would you use a 35mm prime on full frame for full body portraits?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Struggling for space in my studio area, and I'm thinking 85mm is going to be too tight for full body shots. Could potentially go 50mm, but I want to shoot on the A7R2 which I only have access to a 35mm lens...

Cheap 50mm + adapter? You might get away with the 35mm if it doesn't distort too much & you're careful with posing, but I'd expect it to stretch the subject at the edges or enlarge where parts are close too much.

The headline question is simple.
Yes, and I do it all the time, but that's for shooting people 'in context' for environmental portraiture.

The more appropriate question IMHO
In a limited studio space for a studio portrait, would I rather shoot wide for full length, or longer for H&S or 3/4?

And the answer to that is shooting longer for flattery and ease of control of background. I wouldn't choose a lens to fit a space, I'd choose a space to fit a result. I appreciate we all have to make compromises, and my view is that I'd rather compromise my desire for 'full length' and produce attractive portraits.

Thanks guys, it's for a clothing brand and they need full body shots so I may just stick to 50mm...

If space is limited and you want to avoid perspective distortion as much as possible, choose a tiny model.

You are kind of asking the wrong question... it should be "would you shoot clothing from X distance?"

The "correct approach" is to choose the perspective (distance) of the desired image/result... anything under ~ 3m will convey with some level of "expansion" and anything over will convey with some level of "flattening/compression." This is often called "perspective distortion," but it is really just perspective.
Once the desired perspective is set, then the FOV (lens/sensor) is chosen to include/record whatever portion is desired.

I would use the 35 over the 50 every time, I sold my 50 because I prefer the look of the 35.
But that's just me.
I was using the 35 in a tight spaced studio just before Christmas (photo in my Flickr if you're interested) but only because it gave me what I wanted rather than because I had too, I also got some great photos with the 135.

@cowboy Hi Mark. Just had a look at the Flickr ones and really liked them, could you guess at how far away from model you were. I have only done portraits in my small space and normally use 50mm.

Gaz

Back