Wrapped In Silk

Name
Den
Edit My Images
No
Hi, This is my first proper attempt at macro, i cant afford a D-SLR, but have just moved from a Sony DSC-H2 to a Fuji S1700.

4947687344_3cfff4674e_z.jpg

Originally i intended to take a shot of this spider on it's own, but as i focused on it, a vine weevil landed on it's web! within seconds the weevil was wrapped up like a christmas pressie. The spider was still wrapping the weevil as i took the shot (i took 4 or 5 shots while this was happening, the others were slightly out of focus)

I'm more used to taking snapshots of the many kids we have at home, but recently i've really got into photography as a hobby.

cheers, Den.

That is a superb capture for a bridge camera! I've seen many spider shots that are taken when they're just sitting there not doing very much, but to capture one that is hard at work adds more interest.

Thanks Ian, I've got a couple more that i might put on at some point of a hover fly & also a plain old fly. Just wish i could get the detail of the eyes on the hover fly better, some i've seen on here you can see all the perforations on the eyes, the digital camera just doesn't seem to want to pick that fine detail up :shrug:

cheers, Den.

Nice work Den, I like the capture here just like he's on a tight rope. superb detail he looks quite scary. well taken (y)

Thanks John, It's nice to get such positive feedback :)

I put my camera to more general use today, took the kids to a resevoir, some chap got stung by a wasp & collapsed, the air ambulance had to land balancing precariously close to the waters edge. Hope the chap is well, the kids had never seen owt like it before.

cheers, Den.

Thanks John, It's nice to get such positive feedback :)

I put my camera to more general use today, took the kids to a resevoir, some chap got stung by a wasp & collapsed, the air ambulance had to land balancing precariously close to the waters edge. Hope the chap is well, the kids had never seen owt like it before.

cheers, Den.
Looks like you had an exiting day out you should send your pictures to your local paper. if they use them they will pay you for them cheers Den.

Den that's a great shot! if you want to get more detail in your hovers try the raynox dcr-250 i used one on a fuji s9500 bridge camera with decent results :)

Thanks John, i was looking at the raynox on amazon, i believe it used to be quite expensive but it's about £30 now. i'm thinking that will be my next investment :)

cheers, Den.

That's awesome, i've tried a few shots of hover flies the last few days, still couldn't achieve the result i wanted ( the clarity of those eyes ), there's a super macro setting on my new cam but it doesn't focus as well as normal macro, will defo have to invest in the raynox :)

cheers, Den.

Back