Wrapping up 120 Film

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
So I've been using 120 film, portra and tri-x, in my mamiya 645 for a few months now and I've just got a quick newbie question. After I've shot the roll and remove it from the back, theres always a small roll of paper with 'exposed' written on it. In order to stop the film from unraveling whilst I store it, I've been wrapping this small strip of paper around the film and sello-taping it.

Whilst this has been working fine and the guy at the fuji developing place hasn't said anything about it, there must be a better way of doing this..? Is there some adhesive tape on the small strip of paper that I'm missing?

Last edited:
On some makes (Fuji I think, from memory) the paper you're referring to has a self-adhesive section so you wrap it around and then stick down.

On others (Kodak, like the ones you've been using), you lick the paper and it sticks down.

Either way, you don't need to use sellotape, just wrap it up tightly and stick down as above.

Yup, with Portra and Tri-X, you lick it and it becomes sticky! The Fuji solution is much more elegant.

I tape it for peace of mind as well as using the self adhesive, I use electrical tape so it can be removed easily at the lab.

Usually there is but last weekend during a hurried film change I found that the exposed film was missing the strip. I had nothing on me but luckily someone had a roll of tank tape in his tool box.

From now on I will always keep a couple of rubber bands in the bottom of my camera bag!

Mark

Mark, that's very odd... what brand and emulsion was it? Never happened to me.

+1 from me, what he says

On some makes (Fuji I think, from memory) the paper you're referring to has a self-adhesive section so you wrap it around and then stick down.

On others (Kodak, like the ones you've been using), you lick the paper and it sticks down.

Either way, you don't need to use sellotape, just wrap it up tightly and stick down as above.

Usually there is but last weekend during a hurried film change I found that the exposed film was missing the strip. I had nothing on me but luckily someone had a roll of tank tape in his tool box.

From now on I will always keep a couple of rubber bands in the bottom of my camera bag!

Mark

.....the strip is probably in the camera ;)

Mark, that's very odd... what brand and emulsion was it? Never happened to me.

Ilford FP4! Only on one roll and I have got through quite a lot lately. Couldn't find it anywhere and there wasn't a mark on the backing paper to suggest there was something there.

Mark

Some cheaper films don't have any method of securing the exposed roll, Gp3 doesn't, I can't remember if fomapan does.

Back