WRC Rally Turkey 2010 - Ben Gilbert

Name
Ben Gilbert
Edit My Images
No
Spent a few days in Istanbul for the WRC Rally of Turkey 2010. The event was unreal, with serious commitment shown throughout the field, had an awesome time, and cant wait to go back. With the obvious flight situation due to Volcaninc ash, we were stranded for a few days, eventually arriving home after a 50 hour coach ride from Istanbul, through Bukarest, Romania, Bulgaria, Austria, Munich and eventually into Dussledorf airport, we then got a flight from there to London heathrow and got back to wales at 11pm last night!! So heres a few shots from a very memorable event, far to many to post so I have only picked a few faves.

4545884684_174a77e814_o.jpg

4545883034_c2e6f87c9e_o.jpg

4545252195_f481b11c56_o.jpg

4545887416_431b6b6d82_o.jpg

4545251763_b4580a496e_o.jpg

4545252507_7e028b9e66_o.jpg

Ben,

followed much of your problems on Facebook - glad to hear you got home, albeit nearly a week after you were supposed to.

What a great set of photos... Absolutely nothing bad about them at all, used spectators well, Turkish flags, they just really set a great scene for the event!

Maybe one crit would be the odd crop on them but they're still fantastic! Colours, exposure, composition are all great.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling!

DB

Posted too soon...didn't see the second set (in my opinion even better!)

Top picks are either 7 or 10!

DB

Hi Ben,really glad you and the gang are back safe and sound.

Mate,these are bloomin "Orsum!"

Amazing height over the jumps !!!

I absolutely love them all,and those rocks look like total car and camera breakers.

Will give you a call ,
Regards,
Pons

fantastic set
i would be so worried about them rocks hittin my camera or my face but more the camera :)

As Pons said, 'Orsum' pics. The height over the jumps is unreal! :eek: #8 is the perfect illustration of just how rough some of these WRC events are. Lovely sunset pic, too. :)

Mate, what a tour that turned out to be! Best event I've ever done with some of the most unbelievable committment I've ever seen, and it's evident in the shots.

Watched the Dave coverage earlier and spotted an awesome watersplash through a fast left-hander, shame we couldn't find it eh!

ps. LA LA LAAAAA

Looks like you had a good time mate, have been following your's, Rhod's and Geoff's stories on fb. Some very nice shots and great compositions.

Until witnessed close up the commitment and speed of the WRC boys is unbelievable, next thing to try is a tarmac event.

Last edited:
Fantatsic set of shots, some real action one and really love the framing of the jumps, esp the 2nd one. (y), must admit to laughing at # 11 and some of the die hard togs still shooting while others are doing a runner :LOL: - for me, a real atmosphere shot, a cracker :clap:

Glad you got home okay :clap:

Thanks for all the kind comments so far guys. It really was a great event, and something Im very keen to do again.

Really cracking stuff!

What a world of difference it makes when you get a chance to shoot the world class events.

Bet you had a lot of fun doing that, I know I would!

Big ditto to all the above, what an expedition....... I got on the wrong train out of Central Station in the 'Dam once ( real easy to do ) and thought it was stressful, but phooey, you guys have been thru the wringer.......good to have you back in blighty...
tOM

Real nice work mate, what an adventure you had

I'd like to see #11 with a bit of a crop to show the speccies and the dust a little nearer

Great stuff

Quite possibly the best set of photos i've seen from you. Some awesome stuff in there! If I had taken those pics, my house would be plastered in big copies on the walls! :D

Amazing!! I was thinking which I like the most then thought they're all good!!

4,5,8, and 10, rock my world!! ;)

Real nice work mate, what an adventure you had

I'd like to see #11 with a bit of a crop to show the speccies and the dust a little nearer

Great stuff

Cheers Ant,

Funny you should say that, I did 2 versions and uploaded the wrong 1 onto flickr. The 1 I wanted was as you said, I cropped down to about halfway up the treeline, looks much better.

Thanks to all for the kind comments, really didnt expect such praise tbh. So thanks again. It was a great journey, but really glad to be back, and I cannot wait to do another WRC event abroad, such a difference, the commitment is unreal.

4,7 and 12 for me absolutely awesome glad you made back in one piece after that nightmare/epic journey.:clap::clap:

I love the way you are stood in a way to photograph the photographers, they're definitely going to have dirty sensors :D

Outstanding Ben, certainly one of the best sets of photos I've seen this year! :clap: Looks like both you and Rhodri have certainly made the most of it!!! (y)

They're all "orsum", so hard to pick a favourite, but its between #1 and #5 for me. I still can't get over the air they get on that jump! :eek:

Outstanding Ben, certainly one of the best sets of photos I've seen this year! :clap: Looks like both you and Rhodri have certainly made the most of it!!! (y)

They're all "orsum", so hard to pick a favourite, but its between #1 and #5 for me. I still can't get over the air they get on that jump! :eek:

Thanks Jim, it was certainly the best event ive ever done, roll on next year. Only trouble is now, any UK event is going to seem ***** in comparison!!

Well Ben what an outstanding set of photo's you have produced, you should be proud of these. Its this type of photo's that inspire us mere mortals to carry on and hope one day to reach this standard.
Again as has been said many times above well done.

Back