WRC Wales 2014

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Am thinking about going to the WRC in Wales in November. Have never been before. Am after some advice as to where to head, buying tickets, parking, equipment to take etc. Been told by someone at work to avoid forest stages as they can be too dark to get pics.

Anyone on here been before or going again this year?

Any tips?

Kinmel bay & Chirk Castle are just 2 disappointing stages, just a parade !!
Ticket wise, i always pay on the gate. never had any issues getting in :) i usually do 1 forest a day, get to see 2 runs in each. Gartheiniog friday, dyfnant saturday Brenig sunday.

Thank you both for replying. I have a friend at work who used to steward on the RAC rally, and he has advised me to head for HAFREN Sweet Lamb. The thing is, he is not a photographer so doesn't have a clue about taking pictures. I've also been warned that some of the walks from the car parks can be quite long. As for equipment I have a 7d and was planning on taking my 24-105 F4 IS L lens and my 70-200mm F2.8 L lens. Not sure if a tripod will be a help or hindrance. I'm expecting it to get dark early, probably light gone by about 3.30.

I am looking at going on the Friday so I will look a bit more into Gartheinoing. Can't get holiday booked from work for the Saturday or the Sunday at the moment.

Sweet lamb is very open, take a look on youtube. viewing area like a large bowl..
Forest car parks, usually 5 - 10 mins walk to stage entrance. then its up to you how far you walk to find a spot you like.
i seem to end up walking miles :( but always been worth it

im off up for the shakedown thursday with my cousin i got a canon 60d and a sigma 70-200 f/2.8.ive also got a yongnuo yn568ex2 but ive not got a clue how to use it.im not expecting any
decent shots.its gonna be a cold wednesday night sleeping in the car ready for the morning.
any tips for how to get the best out of my gear would be handy

bleddyn

Last edited:
sweet lamb is open, but you cant get close to the action,

the best stages are the ones up in the mountains/forests (they are not to dark at all, the roads are fairly open and give plenty of light enough to take pictures anyway), go to the spectator spots and just have a walk around, its amazing how close you can get, you should to get there really early, take a flask, and wear thermals, and a packed lunch waterprrof trouser and hiking boots,

tickets are bought from the wales rally gb website, and imo are reasonably priced for top flight motorsport, depending on tickets parking should be included, effectively they just park you up on the side of the road, you need a good map reader to get to the locations.
as for equipment, you will want a zoom lens, spare batteries, and if you go to the service areas a general purpose lens like a 24-70 or something.

I been a few times, kinda what got me into photography, been meaning to go back for the past 2 years but life commitments keep stopping me, one day i'll get back.

im off up for the shakedown thursday with my cousin i got a canon 60d and a sigma 70-200 f/2.8.ive also got a yongnuo yn568ex2 but ive not got a clue how to use it.im not expecting any
decent shots.its gonna be a cold wednesday night sleeping in the car ready for the morning.
any tips for how to get the best out of my gear would be handy

bleddyn

I have the same lens, and its perfect for what you want.

you wont be needing the flash, most of the racing is done by the time it gets dark, and when it does start to get dark, will give your pictures an extra dimension, with the headlamps of the cars will look awesome. (although obviously you can use the flash if you want)

as to getting the best out of your gear, to be honest its just a case of you having a play around, personally I set mine up in manual mode and go from there, and have the AF in servo mode,

Thank you both for replying. I have a friend at work who used to steward on the RAC rally, and he has advised me to head for HAFREN Sweet Lamb. The thing is, he is not a photographer so doesn't have a clue about taking pictures. I've also been warned that some of the walks from the car parks can be quite long. As for equipment I have a 7d and was planning on taking my 24-105 F4 IS L lens and my 70-200mm F2.8 L lens. Not sure if a tripod will be a help or hindrance. I'm expecting it to get dark early, probably light gone by about 3.30.

I am looking at going on the Friday so I will look a bit more into Gartheinoing. Can't get holiday booked from work for the Saturday or the Sunday at the moment.

if you plan on walking, try and take as little gear as possible, them lenses are quite heavy and a tripod will add to that, especially if you plan on taking a flask of tea and food with you.

Didn't realise this was so close to home (Chester).

Do you guys know much about the service park bit? Is it worth going down early tomorrow morning with the camera?

Well, I went and thanks to the advice on here I managed some pictures that I am quite pleased with thanks to the help posted on this forum. I am very grateful to you all.

Back