Wren baited,sort of.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
I put a rotten old ,mossy tree stump ( Not Brash or Rich) on my bird table,which has feeders on it. This little thing came for a nosy and a root around the decaying wood.

Wren 1
by Fracster, on Flickr

I`m doing B&W conversions of my shots at the mo, bit of an old age thing I guess.Not sure if they work or not?

Wren 1 bw
by Fracster, on Flickr

I don't think, that in this instance black and white works....
However, I like the colour version.

Thanks lee, I kinda think the subject and the stump get too mixed up in the B&W, not enough definition, would you agree with that?

Thanks lee, I kinda think the subject and the stump get too mixed up in the B&W, not enough definition, would you agree with that?
Yes, I agree with that.
I have seen it work well with gulls and magpies though.

I`ll persevere with it and keep trying differing subjects, thanks for your honest opinion Lee.

I`ll persevere with it and keep trying differing subjects, thanks for your honest opinion Lee.

I've also seen it work very effectively with falcons....
It doesn't work so well with brown birds.

Should have just used yer head if you wanted something decaying. Lovely capture, although why you spoilt it with a conversion is beyond me :shrug:

I appreciate the comments, thanks.

Especially yours Karen.

Rich, every wildlife shot on here is shown in colour, am I wrong to try summat different?

Here are two others. is the B&W so bad?

Buzzard 6
by Fracster, on Flickr

Buzzard 6 bw
by Fracster, on Flickr

I think I'd up the contrast on that last b&w, make the white pop a bit more, and it'll work nicely. The first one is far superior in colour, lovely warm tones and a great image.

Actually the Buzzard shot looks ok in black and white....but, I agree with the above comment about more contrast.....
Stick with it Ade, it's good to try something different, and, as you've seen, it won't work all the time.

I appreciate the comments, thanks.

Especially yours Karen.

Rich, every wildlife shot on here is shown in colour, am I wrong to try summat different?

Here are two others. is the B&W so bad?

Buzzard 6
by Fracster, on Flickr

Buzzard 6 bw
by Fracster, on Flickr

Of course not you little sentimental fool, if you were closer I would pop around give you a big man hug and make it all better for you :D Lovely Buzzard shots, but I like the colour version ;)

Now the buzzard works better than the wren in b&w and I think its good to try something different in fact you have given me an idea to try that on a few crow shots so I might have a dabble when I get a minute, so thanks Frac thats what the forum can be good for,, helping and giving people ideas and trying different things

Last edited:
Be interesting to see some of your owl shots in B&W Karen, especially the ones with the dark background.

Rich, stay in your rut mate, colour shots are so yesterday.............:p

Very nice Ade

Always nice to see a Wren out of the shadows and in the open.

I've never gone down the B&W route with birds but I know from shooting B&W landscapes (where green and blue can be exactly the same shade of grey) that it needs a whole new approach in terms of having to identify contrasting tones within the scene.

Yeah Phil, it is something that I will persevere with , but i`ll have to consider the conversion whilst composing the shot.

Back