Wren

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Soft and oof,(soof ?) but the best shots of wrens I've managed so far.

Canon10073-1.jpg

Canon10077-1.jpg

West Stow, about to pack up as the light had gone.

1D MK2 100-400L with 1.4x TC 1/200s F5.6 ISO640

These are great Anthony! Composition and colours, especially the first one, are gorgeous!

They look neither soft nor oof to me!

Very good indeed (y)

These are great Anthony! Composition and colours, especially the first one, are gorgeous!

They look neither soft nor oof to me!

Very good indeed (y)

:agree: :clap:

for a common bird you don't see many in our neck of the woods. Great capture.

Cracking shots Anthony, I still haven't managed to get a decent shot despite seeing loads of them, their either half hidden by branches or hiding in undergrowth, I'd be well pleased to get shots like yours, great composition colour and sharpness, good stuff :clap:

Thanks all for your comments :)

It took me two months of seeing it about before it got in decent light and within a reasonable distance, and I was very fortunate in the setting it chose. Still looking for one a lot sharper mind :)

Thanks all for your comments :)

It took me two months of seeing it about before it got in decent light and within a reasonable distance, and I was very fortunate in the setting it chose. Still looking for one a lot sharper mind :)

Great captures Anthony, but I will agree with you, simply because I see it in a few of mine. And its like why is the post in focus but the bird just looks that tad oof :thinking:

Thanks John and Ken :)

Great captures Anthony, but I will agree with you, simply because I see it in a few of mine. And its like why is the post in focus but the bird just looks that tad oof :thinking:

You mean like this Rich :D

Canon10059.jpg

That's the first shot I got of it (nice sardonic grin on the post)

This was the last :crying:

Canon10089.jpg

Yeh! Just like that Anthony. ;)

I like number 2 of the first images. They look fine on my monitor but I am not looking at the original images at full resolution. As a matter of interest, how close were you to the wren? I am on a steep learning curve photographing garden birds using a 400mm with a 30d and I have found you really need to be fairly close. I look upon some of these images with awe.

Yeh! Just like that Anthony. ;)

And that's the best of the worst :)

I like number 2 of the first images. They look fine on my monitor but I am not looking at the original images at full resolution. As a matter of interest, how close were you to the wren? I am on a steep learning curve photographing garden birds using a 400mm with a 30d and I have found you really need to be fairly close. I look upon some of these images with awe.

Thank you Ingrid :)

Yes even with reasonably long lenses I find I still have to be fairly close to "guarantee" any chance of some keepers. Though I have had a degree of success at distance when the light was right.

These were taken from aprox 10 metres away and the photos, after cropping, are about 25% of the original size.

I think everyone will tell you the same, get as close as you possibly can.

Very nice set Anthony as you say could be a little sharper but still very good (y)

I found the best time to get Wrens is when the young are just out as they are not as shy and tend to have a look around at the big wide world :) they also stand out in the open a bit more.

Anthony,

Thanks for the distance detail. I can get a little nearer than that for some of my shots. It's nice to know these are 25% crops (and that would account for the appearance of softness) - although that just makes me feel I have even more to strive for.

Very nice set Anthony as you say could be a little sharper but still very good (y)

I found the best time to get Wrens is when the young are just out as they are not as shy and tend to have a look around at the big wide world :) they also stand out in the open a bit more.

Thanks Ian :)

I'm looking forward to the opportunity, it seems to have gone very quiet around my area at the moment. Is this because there all on nesting duties, and more likely to be catching flies and bugs for their young, I wonder.

Anthony,

Thanks for the distance detail. I can get a little nearer than that for some of my shots. It's nice to know these are 25% crops (and that would account for the appearance of softness) - although that just makes me feel I have even more to strive for.

The originals were much softer, Ingrid. I've put them throuh Photoshop to enhance them a little. There is only so much than can be done though, and still retain the integrity of the original.

I'm putting the quality level down to the very poor light at the time of shooting, rather than my technique :LOL: But then I would, would'nt I :D

Cracking shots. (y) I've been in Wren mode all morning, but they're just playing hard to get today.

Cracking shots. (y) I've been in Wren mode all morning, but they're just playing hard to get today.

Thanks CT :)

Best off luck.
You mean there are days when they play easy to get :D

I do like them, such a shame they seem to avoid me most of the time. As Ian (Cyclops) said there is more hope when the young are about.

Thanks Keith :)

They do look soft n'oof to me, maybe I should have gone to spec savers :D

But from 25mtrs? Hey!! Thats still good ;)

They're neither soft nor OOF, what I'm sure it is is that you're just not filling the frame enough and you haven't enough pixels per bird left to show the resolution you'd like to. Happens to all of us - all you can do is try to get closer or go see the bank manager. :D

But from 25mtrs? Hey!! Thats still good ;)

Blimey Rich :) It was 10 metres away, it was the crop that was 25% :)

They're neither soft nor OOF, what I'm sure it is is that you're just not filling the frame enough and you haven't enough pixels per bird left to show the resolution you'd like to. Happens to all of us - all you can do is try to get closer or go see the bank manager. :D

I've just taken delivery of a 50D today, that might help a tad :)

I hav'nt had anything worth while from it yet, it's going to take me a while to get used to. I'm taking it for an outing tomorrow.

Great shots would be well proud if they were mine.

Thanks Elvis :)

Not bad at all at all. Very impressive

Back